• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What Insurance Co. do you use?

trelos_zoi

Curious what insurance companies you guys use on vintage bikes? Currently I have policy through markel, think they had a deal with our group at one point in time but they have my older bikes on "cash value" and can no longer tell me what that is..?? Only way they cover more is for me to have appraisal done by certified appaiser etc.. blah, blah, blah.. I ran a qoute on Hagerty's and I can specify the value I want and it's only about $25 more a year than I'm paying now..didn't seem to bad but curious what everyone is using or what I'm missing. Value on some of the older bikes have climbed a bit, so has my parts investment, but that's another story.. now that their nicer and just want to make sure I don't get screwed if something happens... any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Ted

Hagerty......10 bikes, and a 68 302 Mustang convertible, with FULL COVERAGES and a extremely reasonable price. Plus great service. My insurance search ended about 10 years ago.

Friedle
38 R 66 thru 88 R100 RS

I think Hagerty was suggested as the best (and only) one to use. "No If's, Ands or But's", by the folks that gave the Vintage Seminar in Des Moines at the National this year.

Charlie

Problems with Progressive/USAA

I just paid for another year with Progressive on my 2017 R1200GS, though next time I will probably search for another company due to difficulties with their website, making online payments, difficulty in communicating with them online. I've never had a claim, or other problem with them, but paying them has been a nuisance for me. Also, I cannot view or print my policy on their website (cannot see it even if I type it in) though when I call they assure me that I am covered. FYI, the rate on my 2017 R1200GS was about $580 for another year.

Part of the problem is likely that I get their insurance via my auto insurance carrier (USAA) and their computers (likely) don't talk well to one another. Maybe I should go to Progressive directly, however, I like that all of my policies (I have 5) show up on one statement, and I think I get a better rate when going through USAA.

I just paid for another year with Progressive on my 2017 R1200GS, though next time I will probably search for another company due to difficulties with their website, making online payments, difficulty in communicating with them online. I've never had a claim, or other problem with them, but paying them has been a nuisance for me. Also, I cannot view or print my policy on their website (cannot see it even if I type it in) though when I call they assure me that I am covered. FYI, the rate on my 2017 R1200GS was about $580 for another year.

Part of the problem is likely that I get their insurance via my auto insurance carrier (USAA) and their computers (likely) don't talk well to one another. Maybe I should go to Progressive directly, however, I like that all of my policies (I have 5) show up on one statement, and I think I get a better rate when going through USAA.

Your ride is not yet "vintage" enough to be covered by Hagerty. That is the reason this thread is listed in the "vintage" section. Hang on to t for about another 24 years and try again.

Friedle

Insurance Responses

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I followed up with Hagerty and their online setup was absolutely painless and cost was "fair" in my opinion. I especially like the part about not having to have an appraisal done to get them insured for what I want. My previous fear was if something happened I wouldn't get half of what they are worth or what I've put into them.

Thanks,
Ted

Back