• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Front Master Cylinder milky residue (F650GSK72 -- anyone know how to flush/fix it

cujof16

My front master cylinder on my F650GS Twin has a milky residue in the bottom of the bobble head. I know this happens when water binds to the old fluid. Is there a way to flush it out or am I going to need to rebuild my master cylinder...

Thanks for any words

CUJO

Hi Cujo - Welcome to the forum.

You don't say how old you bike is, but when was the last time that the brake fluid was bled? It appears that it's part of the 12k service?

You may have seen this already, but here's a good video of how to bleed both front and back brake systems. Someone more mechanically apt may come along, but I would start by using a turkey baster/straw with your finger on it to remove as much of the milky fluid as possible, then flush the whole system, double check that the brake system works, go for some rides (gently activating the ABS system too), then do another flush. GS twins are still pretty new, and if they were maintained, shouldn't need a rebuild yet.

Good luck!

Same issue

Hi Cujo,

I had the same issue my 2015 BMW F800Z with 3000 miles on it. I took it to BMW of Palm Bay this past Wednesday and they charged me $115 to bleed and flush my braking system. The master cylinder did not have to be replaced. If left untreated, the service department advised it could effect the braking system. I know this doesn't answer your question on how to do this procedure yourself, however, you will have a point of reference if you decide to let the dealer do it.

Steve

I see this regularly on newer bikes that come in for service. So far it does not seem to be linked to any lasting problem, although one or two bikes had a slightly gritty feel to the MC action when bleeding them.

Back