• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200S Rear Suspension Advice/Input/Wild Ass Guesses Solicited

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
Cruising around the interwebs looking to spend money I noticed that our friends at Wunderlich have a rear suspension mod which, they claim, will "love me long time". Link attached. My question is, while this will obviously quicken the steering will it also result in a commensurate amount of cornering stability loss? I like the stability of the bike at supra-legal speeds (100+ mph) and would prefer to retain it. Your input is appreciated. :thumb

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/7650063.html

Hi Lee, I have messaged "Beech" twice with no response. Would you happen to have a direct email address for him? Thanks!

Ordered and received raising plates from Wunderlich. Have just installed them and will report back. Feedback could be affected by also having changed tires at the same time. I was going to wait but patience isn't my strong point.

Hi Lee, I have messaged "Beech" twice with no response. Would you happen to have a direct email address for him? Thanks!

Sorry, I just saw your reply tonight.
I usually check "New Posts" each day but managed to miss your reply.

I made a similar geometry change to an R1150R by putting a GS rear suspension on it. I greatly enjoyed the change and found it still stable at ultra-legal speeds. One thing I did notice, and you may encounter, is a need to fix the length of the side and center stands.

PICT0136-M.jpg

I made a similar geometry change to an R1150R by putting a GS rear suspension on it.

Yes, I did the same on my R1100S and had to rivet half inch "feet" onto my centre stand in order for the rear tire to clear the ground. While the K1200S now leans more on the side stand, the previous 2 inches of clearance while on the centre stand is reduced to about an inch meaning no need for the extenders. Plus, I don't have to heave the bike up so high to get it on the stand. Bonus!

I'm going for a ride today so I'll be reporting back with the results. I know many of you are on the edge of your seats in anticipation. :laugh

Thanks for the input!

I'm going for a ride today so I'll be reporting back with the results. I know many of you are on the edge of your seats in anticipation. :laugh

OK, in a nutshell......

- In a straight line the bike feels more "lively". Hard to describe as its not unstable in the least but feels like (and does) turn with noticeably less steering input. I'll attribute this to the rise in the back end from the new linkage plates and corresponding reduction in fork angle.
- New tires (Continental RoadAttack 3) are a little noisier than I expected, are very neutral steering, and VERY stable once in a turn. Only tested up to 120 km/h so the supra-legal speed cornering test will be conducted this weekend.

All in all, I'm happy.

Back