• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

r1100rt transmission output shaft fore and aft play

chrisinsc

So, had a vibration in the driveline somewhere and got a used shaft which I installed yesterday. Couple things:

- The female piece that fits on the final drive input shaft was wiggly side to side, the new/used one was tight. No play. Don't know why the old one was loose. Couldn't have been good. Maybe its designed to wear there instead of the input shaft in case of vibration.

- Both the old and the new/used shaft when connected properly to the transmission output shaft had in/out or fore/aft play which must be the transmission output shaft. Is this normal/OK?

Though the bike is much better than before it still exhibits a slight vibration especially when slowing for a left hand turn using engine braking which does not feel normal. Final drive is tight and the magnetic plug had just slight amount of metal sludge on it after 10K miles.

Also, how smooth is the sliding connection in the shaft supposed to be? With Molygraph lube on it there is quite a bit of sticktion though the connection is smooth once moving.

drive shaft

Hi sorry to see little responce for you problem, all the smart guys must be on holidays, so here goes, the drive shaft should lock as you enter it on the gearbox out put shaft ,on a clip, there is a degree of movement in and out but should be retained at the gearbox end, perhaps yours was,nt and that is what caused the slop in the old shaft ? also the shaft has to be phased, go on line and there are plenty of pictures to assist, hope this assists, at least your not alone, Jimmy:thumb

thanks folks, the output shaft from the transmission without a driveline on it moves in and out of its case like 2mm give or take

I think the left hand slow speed turn vibration is the rear tire being cupped, michelin road whatever with 9k miles on it but lots of tread left...

Still interested in the sliding connection on the driveline and how easily it should slide.

I was pretty anal about the phasing when I put it together, this is the second time but I'm paranoid now so I will check it again. Thanks alot for that!:)

thanks folks, the output shaft from the transmission without a driveline on it moves in and out of its case like 2mm give or take

I think the left hand slow speed turn vibration is the rear tire being cupped, michelin road whatever with 9k miles on it but lots of tread left...

Still interested in the sliding connection on the driveline and how easily it should slide.

I was pretty anal about the phasing when I put it together, this is the second time but I'm paranoid now so I will check it again. Thanks alot for that!:)

Private Message sent!

If it really does that (it's very hard to estimate this) then you have a transmission issue. See if you can find a way to measure the movement. There should be no more than about 0.1mm axial play; pretty much indiscernible.

The humming feeling when leaned over is probably tire wear. That's pretty classic.

Don't sweat the phasing too much. It's not worth pulling the bike apart to check it.

The sliding connection in the driveshaft normally slides enough that the small end will fall out under its own weight, or close to it. If you have a lot more friction than that, you could clean and grease it.

Many thanks anton. Will check it again. I am very concerned now. It was definitely discernible.

Perhaps I felt it with the main shaft snapped on to the output shaft and some movement there is normal but I assumed it was the output shaft.

Back