• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Disassembly of a lock cylinder when re keying

flhfxd

1999 RT. I need to re key a top box lock cylinder to match my bike. I have a pretty good grasp on how to do this but I have a couple of questions:
Is Any force required to disassemble the removed lock cylinder tumblers? or do they and the springs fall out easily after key has been extracted? Special tool required?
Will there be enough 1”s, 2’s and 3’s from the existing lock cylinder to re key the lock or Is a kit of tumblers advised in case of shortage?
Thanks, Flhfxd

No force required. Tumblers and springs easily come out when the key is removed - disassemble on a white towel.
Depends how similar the key change is as to the numbers

Here is a link to a you tube video showing a top box from a K1600 model being done. He shows you how to count the different positions, so depending on the keys you have and the difference you may have enough to do the change. He indicated kits were available from dealer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mygeTPWUhqY

Maxbmw didn’t have them the last couple times I looked. Is there anyone else who has the rekey kits in stock?

The only kits I can find on web contain the barrel as well as a dozen tumblers and springs at $50.
Can we get just a kit of tumblers at a better price?

Most people don't bother with the kit. Do some Googling and learn how to arrange the existing tumblers to work. You may end up with a tumbler or two left over if the numbers don't work out but so what. By the way the video is totally wrong about their being only 24 combinations. There are many more than that.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Most people don't bother with the kit. Do some Googling and learn how to arrange the existing tumblers to work. You may end up with a tumbler or two left over if the numbers don't work out but so what. By the way the video is totally wrong about their being only 24 combinations. There are many more than that.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I was thinking that very thing. Use what I can and leave a slot or two empty as necessary. Yes. Use the factorial math to get the potential combos. Hundreds for sure

I was thinking that very thing. Use what I can and leave a slot or two empty as necessary. Yes. Use the factorial math to get the potential combos. Hundreds for sure

You can also use what you have, get as close as possible, and then take down any high spots that remain with the key inserted, and file them down. It works.

:thumb:thumb
You can also use what you have, get as close as possible, and then take down any high spots that remain with the key inserted, and file them down. It works.

:thumb. Will do it this way. Presently “on the road” at work. Looking forward to this as soon as I get home.
Thx all for the tips. Flhfxd

What is the advantage of filling the tumblers? Isn't it simpler to just leave them out?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Filing them makes them the size they need to be. Then you get the benefit of the security. No tumbler= no security
Further to that the heel of the tumbler locks the barrel in the off position.

Last edited:
Back