• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Should we tell them... ?

Michael,
Yes, I've seen a lot of negative behaviors on our Facebook pages (and other areas) as well. It seems that bad behavior, negativism, attacking others over slight differences of opinion, and so on are now considered acceptable behavior by many. This is not altogether surprising to me given what I see aspiring on the larger national and world stage. However, I don't agree that is how we should treat each other. We can discuss and disagree respectfully, and perhaps in the process find that we have more common ground than differences.

Clubs are organization of people with similar interests. Some people love to sow discord. They are the ones that should leave and form their own club. They can't because they'd simply argue and complain to the point of collapse. Sad but true.

Urals are pretty cool, and they’re probably the closest thing to a BMW R71 that most of us will ever have access to. It’s a nice picture, too. The colors are what make it special.

Too bad no one makes a more modern interpretation of other BMW classics. I’d like to see a slightly modernized version of an R60, R27, 2002, and maybe even an Isetta!

Why not? LML still builds Vespa P-200’s, and Royal Enfield still builds Bullets.

Urals are pretty cool, and they’re probably the closest thing to a BMW R71 that most of us will ever have access to. It’s a nice picture, too. The colors are what make it special.

Too bad no one makes a more modern interpretation of other BMW classics. I’d like to see a slightly modernized version of an R60, R27, 2002, and maybe even an Isetta!

Why not? LML still builds Vespa P-200’s, and Royal Enfield still builds Bullets.

I've had a bug for a sidecar for awhile now. After doing my research into adding one to one of my /5's I have come to the conclusion I would be better off buying a rig than trying to build one as a first timer who has never even ridden one at this point in time.

After a few months following various message boards, looking at ads of for sale hacks, etc, it is pretty clear the price of admission with a BMW boxer based tug is steep ... Ural is looking more and more attractive to me as an entry level starter hack.

After a few months following various message boards, looking at ads of for sale hacks, etc, it is pretty clear the price of admission with a BMW boxer based tug is steep ... Ural is looking more and more attractive to me as an entry level starter hack.

Might consider hanging out here for a while before you jump in. Pretty down to earth group, international membership, no dues, lots of insight on Ural and Dnepr. Black Market Forum for member-to-member sales. Several members in SoCal.

edit - one suggestion, buy "used".

Might consider hanging out here for a while before you jump in. Pretty down to earth group, international membership, no dues, lots of insight on Ural and Dnepr. Black Market Forum for member-to-member sales. Several members in SoCal.

edit - one suggestion, buy "used".

Recently found and bookmarked that site, appreciate the good advice.

appreciate the good advice.

Well, you know what they say about the value of advice... ;)

Keep in mind that lots of folks buy these rigs thinking it's going to be fun to haul the grand kids out for ice cream, etc. That gets old pretty quick and then there's another rig on the used market. If you want to check out machines and can make it up to Ventura, check out Mark's Custom Cycles for Urals. Call first.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Mark's.

I ride an old Ural powered Dnepr, and do my own work so I have no personal experience with Mark's, but a couple of buddies have bought their bikes from him.

IMG_6488-850x650.jpg

Now that was funny.
Yes, it was really funny - I'm crying here... Russian hack... Oh I have fainted.

About Urals... I hear the new ones will have more cooling surface on nikasil cylinders and have new designed pistons and heads with different exhaust port configuration. None of that means anything to me really but, the improvements should make a competent machine even more so. They are popular for a variety reasons. A doctor I spoke with wants a camo Ural to tool around the neighborhood on his way to the jogging circuit. Several folks Ive met with Urals were missing body parts and an inexpensive sidecar gave them the ability to enjoy riding again. We should ask the magazine editor what the idea was. The camo Ural pictured in this thread would have disappeared in the cover photo :)

Last edited:
Back