• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What bar ends to reduce numbness?

myat35

Would like to know what bar end weights people have gone
with. My hands get numb all the time on my k1200gt.

Thanks

Your other choice might be to install Grab On Grip Covers over your original grips. They work really well for me. And they're cheap!

Why do wedge Ks vibrate?? BMW built bikes that don't vibrate way back in the '80s. Did they forget how?:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

Why do wedge Ks vibrate?? BMW built bikes that don't vibrate way back in the '80s. Did they forget how?:dunno

My K bike doesn't vibrate excessively but all bikes vibrate to some degree. BMW put in a balance shaft to ensure the wedge motor doesn't vibrate excessively. In addition to proper tuning being key to a smooth-running engine, some people are more sensitive to vibration than others. The OP may be one of those people. Further, I have found the foam over-grips I recommended to be very comfortable over the course of a long multi-day ride.

Check wrist angles

I'd suggest to check whether your wrists are in their normal position when riding, or bent left-right or up-down. I found that mine were bent just a bit in the left-right plane, and that was what caused part of my right hand to go numb. Bar risers solved the problem, not by rising per se, but because they allowed some forward rotation of the bar, which slightly rotated the grips outward and straightened the wrists.

My K bike doesn't vibrate excessively but all bikes vibrate to some degree. BMW put in a balance shaft to ensure the wedge motor doesn't vibrate excessively. In addition to proper tuning being key to a smooth-running engine, some people are more sensitive to vibration than others. The OP may be one of those people. Further, I have found the foam over-grips I recommended to be very comfortable over the course of a long multi-day ride.

Neither of our Wedge S's had serious bar vibrations, other friends complained of theirs on S and GT's as well as every other model or make. I added foam covers on mine to alleviate my death grip on acceleration that seemed to happen:laugh
Some folks may find they are a bit tense in grip level which aggravates the problem. Lighten your grip and relax your shoulders...I have to remind myself often.

I'd suggest to check whether your wrists are in their normal position when riding, or bent left-right or up-down. I found that mine were bent just a bit in the left-right plane, and that was what caused part of my right hand to go numb. Bar risers solved the problem, not by rising per se, but because they allowed some forward rotation of the bar, which slightly rotated the grips outward and straightened the wrists.
Have noticed a lot of models have an angle of lever to grip that causes wrist issues. Some can rotate slightly to adjust a more comfortable angle. Some models are so extreme that they immediately catch my eye as your wrists are being pushed down when engaging levers. Have adjusted for friends who had numbness and seems to fix the issue from feedback.

from Planet Dirt

Hi there:
I read all the different situations in which you can position your hands on the grips and get numb.Wrist up or down, left or right.........vibration......pressure can be also a problem.
Hands can be very tight on the grip,special the throttle hand, and the original covers of the grips too thin and hard ( maybe due to the presence of heated grips ).
When the hand is pushing against the grip, the superficial palmar arch artery gets compressed; There is a deep palmar arch artery that doesn't get affected and that is why the process is very slow, the circulation of blood gets routed that way and everything stays the same........to a point.
After 10 minutes, or maybe 15 the area that feeds this superficial artery starts to feel the lack of nutrients, oxigen etc., and numbness is the response of the organism as an alert to you that something abnormal is happening.

What to do?

Change hand positions frequently.
Change at least in the warm months for a softer and more spongy grip cover.
Wear adequate gloves _ not too tight because can help to trigger numbness
Wear adequate gloves _ with pads where the palm touches the grip, to help relieve some pressure-
Motorcycle throttle clamps, also called " Cruise control" can help to change hand position every now and then.

......and enjoy the ride

Dan

Attachments

• hand.PNG
    hand.PNG
    56.4 KB · Views: 51
Back