• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1999 R1100RT Need Rear Brake Rotor and Pads suggestion, also torque values

discoboy

I let the rear brake pads wear down to nothing and, predictably, destroyed the rotor. The BMW brand rotor and pads from the dealership are wicked expensive. Any suggestions for 3rd party make/model?

Was online looking at a BikeMaster rotor. Very affordable. Are these any good? Another brand I'm considering is EBC.

Also, does anyone know the torque values for the various bolts? I need to by a manual but have not yet done that.

brake discs

Hi, I bought a new rear rotor (disc) on E bay made in China, less than 100 canadian delivered, have put about 2000 km.s on it no problems, bought EBC pads locally , I just tightened the screws , as the 15 ft lbs seemed low to me , really good quality rotor , O and had trouble with the 2 counter sunk screws ,so drilled them out and left the stubs to locate the new rotor the wheel holds every thing on tight ,hope this assists Jimmy:thumb

$38.98 rotor

just checked E bay and one the same as mine ,Halfox for 38.98 us dollars and free shipping I believe ,cant be bad to that, again hope this assists Jimmy:dance

I ended up going with EBC rotor and pads. I decided to heed the advice I'd seen elsewhere: "don't cheap out too much on parts, especially when it comes to something that is supposed to stop your vehicle." From what I'm reading EBC has a good reputation.

As for the torque values, I finally broke down and ordered the appropriate Clymer manual.

I checked BeemerBoneyard which does pretty well on prices. Here's their page for the EBC Rotor: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/ebcmd653.html

I lived in Worcester for a few years in the mid to late 70s. I liked it there a lot, and lived on Institute Road. We still go back to see friends there. I bought my RT from Wagner, BTW.

You should consider joining Yankee Beemers. We have monthly ride-to-eat breakfasts usually over at the Willowbrook in Mendon, MA. Next one there is in October, I think.

See you on the road!

ExGMan: I am registered on Yankee Beemers and the forum. I haven't become a dues paying member yet.

Where do the breakfast rides start? Or is it simply a matter of showing up at the right destination?

BTW, I am "discoboy" on YB too.

Discoboy - Yankee Beemers holds a Ride-To-Eat breakfast meeting each month from October to I think June at the Willowbrook Restaurant in Mendon, MA. July and August meetings are held in other locations and are shown on the YB website. September's meeting is at the Larz Anderson Park in Brookline, MA during the "European Motorcycle Day" at Larz Anderson. Members ride there, some put their bikes on display and compete for prizes, others man the tent and try to sign up new members. This year the Larz event is on Sunday September 9.

Of course, there are rallies throughout the riding season, and you can find a list of those on the website.

Discoboy - the EBC rear rotor is a good choice. The EBC rear pads are good, but the fit usually requires some adjustment. The top of the backing plate, in the area just behind the "hole" where the guide pin goes, is too high. It makes it difficult to get the pad to settle into the caliper and it binds. I have to file the backing plate in that area until the pad fits. It's a pain in the *** but BMW is asking such a high price for the OEM pads.

The torque values for the rear disk, are 40 NM for the caliper to the rear drive, and 21 NM for the rotor to the final drive. You should use new screws for the rotor attachment, they are soft and shallow and can easily strip.

The torque values for the rear disk, are 40 NM for the caliper to the rear drive, and 21 NM for the rotor to the final drive. You should use new screws for the rotor attachment, they are soft and shallow and can easily strip.

How about the torque values for the 5 screws that attach the rotor to the carrier plate (or whatever the disc is is called). The rotor is a ring and attaches to a disc with 5 screws. The disc then is attached to the final drive.

How about the torque values for the 5 screws that attach the rotor to the carrier plate (or whatever the disc is is called). The rotor is a ring and attaches to a disc with 5 screws. The disc then is attached to the final drive.

Tightening torque:
Brake disc to rear wheel drive
(clean thread + Loctite 243).......................... 21 Nm

21 Nm is the spec for the 5 screws holding the rotor to the carrier. BMW calls for loctite on the screws.

Back