Thread: New Member from Charlotte NC!

New Member from Charlotte NC!

Hi All, I just joined the MOA as I am looking to get a new bike soon. I am 35 with a wife and two kids. Unfortunately my wife doesn't ride with me so I do most of my riding solo. Im hoping to purchase my first BMW motorcycle in the next month or so and am hoping the group can offer some advice and opinions. I was doing the adventure style riding previously, but I've decided I will stay on the pavement going forward so I am contemplating either a K1600GT/GTL or a R1200RT. In your opinion which bike is better for long distance touring with a bit of sporting fun on mountain roads. Im 6'1" and about 235lbs and ride solo. Are there years that are better than others? Are there options that you have to have or things to avoid on these bikes? Also what things should I look for when considering a used one of these models? Thanks again for the help and comments and I look forward to see you all out on the road!

Welcome to the forum and to BMW...hopefully soon! I can't help much with specifics to these bikes, but don't think you can go wrong with either. My impressions are that the K1600 is a serious long haul bike although the R1200RT can go all day long as well. The 1600 will be heavier; the 1200 still pays homage to the boxer heritage of BMW. Hopefully other owners will be along to provide their personal experience. Good luck!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by corman01 View Post
    Hi All, I just joined the MOA as I am looking to get a new bike soon. I am 35 with a wife and two kids. Unfortunately my wife doesn't ride with me so I do most of my riding solo. Im hoping to purchase my first BMW motorcycle in the next month or so and am hoping the group can offer some advice and opinions. I was doing the adventure style riding previously, but I've decided I will stay on the pavement going forward so I am contemplating either a K1600GT/GTL or a R1200RT. In your opinion which bike is better for long distance touring with a bit of sporting fun on mountain roads. Im 6'1" and about 235lbs and ride solo. Are there years that are better than others? Are there options that you have to have or things to avoid on these bikes? Also what things should I look for when considering a used one of these models? Thanks again for the help and comments and I look forward to see you all out on the road!
    Welcome here... we don't live far from one another, so you know that some of the best roads to the country are just to your north. My faves are the super-tight technical ones, and the forest service roads.

Have you considered an R1200R with perhaps an accessory windscreen and some bags? They're lighter, nimbler (imo) and less expensive to buy, own and drop than the R1200RT. But there's no getting around that nice RT fairing, if that's what you're into.

I'd stay away from 05-07 models due to rear drive issues, and my personal fave is the 10-12 oilheads with DOHC. The final iteration of BMW's air (and oil)-cooled twin... an exceptional motor and I have read that it's particularly good in the RT.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Thank you both for your opinions and welcome! I was originally interested in the GS or even the S1000XR but after riding the k1600 I fell for the big bikes. I know the RT has so much heritage and being that its used as a police bike I figure it must be a great motorcycle, but that k1600 turbine sounding motor and its smoothness is just so good. Ive heard some stories of the k1600 motor having failures early in its production, but it seems that the later models have not had the same issue. I did hear about the drive train on the older boxer bikes has some issues, but that also seems to be resolved. Im a relative competent mechanic so I plan to get a lift and the service manual for either bike to help save on service costs too. Really from what I can tell you can't go wrong with either bike which while is awesome news does make the decision that much harder. Thanks again!!