• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

lowering pegs for wethead

sidestand access?

For those of you with Suburban Machinery kits... did you have any problem putting the sidestand down afterwards?

Cap

I'm not sure that it makes it any more difficult to put the stand down or not. You do have to pay attention on the RT, at least for me, even after 2 1/2 years of riding it, I still occasionally hit the shifter with my boot instead of the side stand.

I just swapped the peg lowering kit from my R1150RT to my new R1200RTW. The good news is that they fit fine. But the tang on the sidestand is only a quarter-inch forward of the footpeg. For me, that is gonna be a problem.

Fortunately, the stock shifter turnbuckle has enough travel to work for me. On the other side, the rear brake pedal is too high and will be a problem.

Ilium Works sells a replacement brake pedal... While I was shopping for that, I noticed that Ilium also sells their foot boards, and I wondered how they accommodated the sidestand. And I noticed that they also sell a sidestand foot enlarger, having a separate tang on it. So, I bought that too, and I am hoping that will solve the problem of getting the sidestand deployed. We'll see.

Cap

I have been hovering on the edge of buying the suburban kit. I could really use a little more leg room.

Cap has been discussing exactly my concerns. And, in common with LI rider, I have a tendency to hit the shifter when deploying the side stand, (big feet) but I suppose I could simply be even more careful there.

Also, I don't want to have to reposition my foot every time I want to use the rear brake. Seems like a safety issue. Please let us know how the Ilium brake pedal works out in solving this.

Well now I've gone to the Ilium site to look at the brake pedal and find that since I last visited they've come out with a Sport Floorboard Kit that fits the 2014+ RTW. As with all Ilium products it's stratospherically pricey, but appears to be well designed and well made.

:scratch

Decisions, decisions.

:dunno

Sport Floorboard Kit

The whole notion of a "sport" floorboard makes me chuckle.

But, that's what I was talking about: the sport floorboard masks the side stand tang completely -- and so I think that Ilium solved the problem by putting another tang on their expanded side stand foot. This should be accessible behind the footpeg (or floorboard) rather than in front of it. That's what I'm hoping, anyway. I have it on order, and I will post a pic when I get it installed.

I had the Ilium Sportboards on my 2008 RT and switched them to my 2015 RT. I saw that Ilium had made a more compact version for the LC model, but decided to try the old ones. With 30K miles on them now, they have not been a problem.

I did change the brake lever to the Ilium unit, and added the enlarged shift adapter, albeit with a set screw tapped into it to keep it from falling off. Reaching the side-stand is a minor problem, which I handle with the heel of my left boot. None of this would be necessary except for my arthritic knees, which work fine for walking, but don't like compression much. Oh well.

I had the Ilium Sportboards on my 2008 RT and switched them to my 2015 RT. I saw that Ilium had made a more compact version for the LC model, but decided to try the old ones. With 30K miles on them now, they have not been a problem.

I did change the brake lever to the Ilium unit, and added the enlarged shift adapter, albeit with a set screw tapped into it to keep it from falling off. Reaching the side-stand is a minor problem, which I handle with the heel of my left boot. None of this would be necessary except for my arthritic knees, which work fine for walking, but don't like compression much. Oh well.

Good to know. I get the knee thing, my left is total knee replacement and it gets cranky at being bent so sharply for so long. :gerg

pics of Ilium Works solutions

I bought a side stand expansion foot from Ilium Works because I thought it might help me deploy the side stand after using the Suburban Machinery lowering blocks. It works fine as a solution for people like me with big feet. In the pic below, you can see how the peg-lowering blocks make it harder to access the side stand, and how the Ilium Works piece helps out. As a bonus, I also included a pic of the Ilium Works replacement rear brake lever in the lowest position. I think they could make it a lot cheaper if they removed the adjustment and just sold it with the low position. In any case, it works great, and was easy to install.

Cap

ilium1.jpg

ilium2.jpg

As a bonus, I also included a pic of the Ilium Works replacement rear brake lever in the lowest position. I think they could make it a lot cheaper if they removed the adjustment and just sold it with the low position. In any case, it works great, and was easy to install.

Here is another photo of Ilium's adjustable brake lever with the right side lower foot peg. Does the job.

left-foot.jpg

...using the Suburban Machinery lowering blocks. ...

As an aside, I would advise against purchasing an optional longer shift turnbuckle from Suburban Machinery. I set the stock turnbuckle to it's longest position, making sure that there were several full turns of thread engagement, and snugged it up. In that position, I lost authority to downshift into first gear. With trial and error, I gradually shortened the turnbuckle (raising the shifter) until I had reliable shifting. So, using a longer turnbuckle with the Suburban Machinery lowering blocks won't provide any benefit.

The shifter ended up a bit higher than I would like with the lowered pegs, but it is within an acceptable range.
Cap

Back