Thread: Free access to K1600 GTL shop manual online?

Free access to K1600 GTL shop manual online?

Anyone know of any shared access to the BMW repair manual online?
    I just purchased a new 2018 GTL and would like to learn how to safely remove the Tupperware and some other basic maintenance and I donít have a desktop or laptop. I think someone had posted that info before but it doesnít link up now.
    Thanks

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum David!
    I don't recall seeing anything on your task here on this forum. It takes a while for manuals to catch up with current models, perhaps a year and a half for a Haynes.
    Someone may chime in with something though. In the mean time you may get a glimpse of how things get assembled by looking at the parts diagrams on a Dealer site in your area or at MAX BMW.
    Good luck.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Check with your dealer or on the MaxBMW website for part# 01598405655 which is the mfg service manual for the K16GTL. Usually around $130-140 so not free, but quite thorough and a necessity if you plan on doing any of your own maintenance.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S PD ó 1993 R100GS ó 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C ó 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

I think that disc needs a Windoze (PC) based computer?
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

GTL service manual

Thatís my problem all I have to use is an Apple tablet. So I donít believe I can use the dealer CD?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe you can get the CD and have a friend with a PC make the conversion and get it onto your tablet? I'm clueless when it comes to Apple software/hardware but I'm sure there's a way to get it done.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddietzgen View Post
    Thatís my problem all I have to use is an Apple tablet. So I donít believe I can use the dealer CD?
    Last I heard Mac computers could emulate Windows. I don't think Ipads can though.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by daviddietzgen View Post
    I am an Apple guy too, so I bought an inexpensive lap top so I can run the maintenance DVDs and operate my GS-911 diagnostic tool. Using Windows is the price of admission. The only other option would seem to be to get a Haynes Manual, if and when it is available.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Buy the CD and find a friend with a Windows computer and printer. Buy an ink cartridge and a ream of paper and print yourself your manual.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Last I heard Mac computers could emulate Windows.
    Like having unprotected sex in a bad part of town.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I am an Apple guy too, so I bought an inexpensive lap top so I can run the maintenance DVDs and operate my GS-911 diagnostic tool. Using Windows is the price of admission. The only other option would seem to be to get a Haynes Manual, if and when it is available.
    My vote for the best way as long as you can keep it off the internet. Sorta hard if you wanted to double use with a GS 911.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Buy the CD and find a friend with a Windows computer and printer. Buy an ink cartridge and a ream of paper and print yourself your manual.
    If you want to try this method, an office superstore may print it for you without putting a beating on a home printer.
    oM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Printing the RepRom would be a frustrating and expensive exercise. The pages often scale differently between screen and printer, and it would require painstakingly digging through each procedure to get all the pre/post/sub procedures printed, and even then they would not be linked. IMO, not a realistic option.

For $200 or less the OP can acquire a usable Windows laptop, plus another $30 or so for a portable dvd drive. And ignore the bogeyman business about connecting to the internet—there are numerous free AV and malware programs available that will protect a Windows system, including Microsoft’s own free Windows Defender program, which does a pretty decent job.

Tablets of any kind—IOS, Android, or other-just aren’t all that functional for anything beyond email, web surfing, basic word processing, or photo viewing. *Any* dvd-based program is problematic for tablets.

Best,
    DG
    Last edited by GTRider; 08-15-2018 at 09:15 PM.
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S PD ó 1993 R100GS ó 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C ó 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138