• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Free access to K1600 GTL shop manual online?

daviddietzgen

Anyone know of any shared access to the BMW repair manual online?
I just purchased a new 2018 GTL and would like to learn how to safely remove the Tupperware and some other basic maintenance and I don’t have a desktop or laptop. I think someone had posted that info before but it doesn’t link up now.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum David!
I don't recall seeing anything on your task here on this forum. It takes a while for manuals to catch up with current models, perhaps a year and a half for a Haynes.
Someone may chime in with something though. In the mean time you may get a glimpse of how things get assembled by looking at the parts diagrams on a Dealer site in your area or at MAX BMW.
Good luck.
Gary

Check with your dealer or on the MaxBMW website for part# 01598405655 which is the mfg service manual for the K16GTL. Usually around $130-140 so not free, but quite thorough and a necessity if you plan on doing any of your own maintenance.

Best,
DG

GTL service manual

That’s my problem all I have to use is an Apple tablet. So I don’t believe I can use the dealer CD?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe you can get the CD and have a friend with a PC make the conversion and get it onto your tablet? I'm clueless when it comes to Apple software/hardware but I'm sure there's a way to get it done.

That’s my problem all I have to use is an Apple tablet. So I don’t believe I can use the dealer CD?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am an Apple guy too, so I bought an inexpensive lap top so I can run the maintenance DVDs and operate my GS-911 diagnostic tool. Using Windows is the price of admission. The only other option would seem to be to get a Haynes Manual, if and when it is available.

Buy the CD and find a friend with a Windows computer and printer. Buy an ink cartridge and a ream of paper and print yourself your manual.

Last I heard Mac computers could emulate Windows.
Like having unprotected sex in a bad part of town. :hungover

I am an Apple guy too, so I bought an inexpensive lap top so I can run the maintenance DVDs and operate my GS-911 diagnostic tool. Using Windows is the price of admission. The only other option would seem to be to get a Haynes Manual, if and when it is available.
My vote for the best way as long as you can keep it off the internet. Sorta hard if you wanted to double use with a GS 911.

Buy the CD and find a friend with a Windows computer and printer. Buy an ink cartridge and a ream of paper and print yourself your manual.
If you want to try this method, an office superstore may print it for you without putting a beating on a home printer.
oM

Printing the RepRom would be a frustrating and expensive exercise. The pages often scale differently between screen and printer, and it would require painstakingly digging through each procedure to get all the pre/post/sub procedures printed, and even then they would not be linked. IMO, not a realistic option.

For $200 or less the OP can acquire a usable Windows laptop, plus another $30 or so for a portable dvd drive. And ignore the bogeyman business about connecting to the internet—there are numerous free AV and malware programs available that will protect a Windows system, including Microsoft’s own free Windows Defender program, which does a pretty decent job.

Tablets of any kind—IOS, Android, or other-just aren’t all that functional for anything beyond email, web surfing, basic word processing, or photo viewing. *Any* dvd-based program is problematic for tablets.

Best,
DG

Last edited:
Back