Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Another Seat attempt

I have had 2 BMS seats, customer service was great. I would be riding up there this week for a 3rd but the recent fires have put a crimp on local hotels, not sure how the employees have faired. Each saddle took about 500 miles to break in
    FYI: rocky now lives in Idaho and only handles sales, the 2 guys who used to work for him now own the shop

Jim

I had a Rick Meyer back when I had an 09 Rt.
    The seat was so badly made it ll take me an hour to describe suffice to say returned it but the guy kept my seat pan.
    I have heard horror stories about both Meyers. However just recently Inread a post about one person who liked a Meyer.

My recommendation is to get a Sargent. They are making great seats nowadays. A other option is Seth Laam, it's best to go by his house in Shasta CA and have it made right there. A caveat on Seth: he can be a difficult person to get along with. He is a talented seat make but an eccentric dude.

The RDL are very comfy but your seat will raise quite a bit. 1.5 to 2 inch according to Jay.

Your best bet is a Sarge if you ask me.

I got nothing good to say about the Ultimate nor Corbin.

Yes, I have spent a lot of foolish money looking for a nice place for me arses.
    "...whether is clear to you or not, the universe is unfolding as it should"

Rick Meyer Long outa business, bill (rocky) are alive and well in Ventura, i’ve Always been treated well by them
    Really wanted to like RDL seats, but pricing is all over the place, way to many sur charges for my taste just saying

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    On my GSA I went with a Terry’s Custom Seat. I’ve got over 10,000 miles on it and I am very happy. Only $250 plus shipping.

http://terryscustomseats.com
    Look's like Terry's place of business/home is 65 miles south of the 2019 MOA Rally location...
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

Can't comment for you road guys but for the offroad, rally set Renazco is one of the best. I have them on 2 bikes.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Iffin your a bit short on hips.......or suffer from a case of “Noassatol”, a good seat is tough to find.
    I always thought a dealer with a wide selection of “trial” seats would do well.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Wunderlich

Wunderlich GS seats look great on their website, but I’ve never seen one on a GS. Does anyone here ride one?
    Last edited by tburk; 11-26-2018 at 06:42 AM.
    They make cars too?

Rally Rat

Thumbs up

Sargents are firmer than most, due to the foam they use. But once broken in, comfort level very high.

Ran one on my R1200RT for seven years, including plenty of long-distance touring. Was sad to see it go when I traded the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by tburk View Post
    Wunderlich GS seats look great on their website, but I’ve never seen one on a GS. Does anyone here ride one?

I had one of them also on my RT
    It was hard as a rock, worse than the Corbin.
    I have not had a GS, but I suspect they be the same.

I feel your searching pain while I wish no one my spending pain I have spent on seats. And I can tell you with some confidence that there are two viable seat choices for an RT (if u want comfort: Sargent and RDL
    "...whether is clear to you or not, the universe is unfolding as it should"

Seats

We just ordered the Day Long's, front, back, both backrests for my RT. Have sat on several (with permission - thanks to all those guys I don't know that let me sit on their rides!) and decided to just bite the bullet. Based on these conversations, my expectations are pretty high. Hope you find your answer!

Jerry
    Best Regards,
    Jerry Trepanier
    Augusta, MI
    2006 ST1300, 2010 R1200RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryab9rj View Post
    We just ordered the Day Long's, front, back, both backrests for my RT. Have sat on several (with permission - thanks to all those guys I don't know that let me sit on their rides!) and decided to just bite the bullet. Based on these conversations, my expectations are pretty high. Hope you find your answer!

Jerry
    I hope you can report back on how you like it
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

There is a seat for every butt.

I am on my third RDL and would never ride on anything else ever.

On my GS I tried a new Sargent, a new Air Hawk Low, and a Saddelman.

They all sucked for me.

Ordered my 3 RDL and waited 4 months in their que to send it and 3 weeks to get it back and life is good.

I am 5' 10" and yes I have to slid forward a bit at stops but I am so used to it that is second nature.

I have a Low GS so that helps in the height disadvantage check box.

I have done 700 mile days no issue on the RDL and 3-400 mile day rides are the norm for our BMW club.

It is personal choice and very subjective as to what feels good to a person. For me I will never waste any money on another brand seat if I ever get a new bike. Over the years I have wasted a lot of money on seats.

As far as cost I had the front done and the rear just covered to match no foam work as all that sits there is a Otlieb bag. It was around 600 bucks or so. That was leather top and vinyl sides. Again I lost more then that in buying and reselling the seats I tried at a loss.

YMMV
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

I’ve ridden about 5K on Sargeant seat on my ‘17 RT. At first it seemed really firm and I’d start squirming after about 500 miles. Either I have adjusted to it, or it’s broken in a bit, because I can now go about 700 miles before I start getting uncomfortable. For really long days I’ll throw my AirHawk on when I start getting uncomfortable and give it just a slight inflation — let’s me go for a few more hours. The Sargeant isn’t perfect, but it’s pretty darn good. The tractor-type seats like the RDL make it difficult for me to slide side to side, which takes some of the fun out of a spirited ride in the twisties.

RDL finally came!!

Quote Originally Posted by jerryab9rj View Post

Jerry
    As I said I would, here is a pic of the new saddle. It finally came, although it seemed like a lot longer than it actually was. Working with the Russell guys was awesome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Best Regards,
    Jerry Trepanier
    Augusta, MI
    2006 ST1300, 2010 R1200RT

I finally coughed up $500 and ordered a his/hers bucket-style seat from Terry's Custom Seats with a May 21st build date. Just in time to get it back to ride to the national rally!
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition