• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another Seat attempt

Short riders

At 6' 1" and 32" seam, you can probably handle the RDL elevation. Albeit, like you said: you are sitting higher which decreases the efficacy of the shield and has you reach forward to the bars more. While you are enjoy the comfort of the RDL, take a moment to empathize with your feller Americans who is below your tree top at less than 6'. I use my bike for commuting after Summer's tours and in traffic, I would find it a pain in the rear to be tippie-toeing around at ever stop light or slow traffic.

My beef with RDL has been their unwillingness to make lower seats for us midgets. I think if they wanted to, or if they ever get a Leadership with some savvy, they would be able to replicate their seat construct in a lower format; and I be willing to bet it would be nearly as comfy as that lunar high sofa format they are stuck with. Probably would make more money also. There's gotta be some narrow minded folks in that outfit insisting on that one-and-only seat.

Good to see another vertically challenged rider here. I'm looking at options for being able to flatfoot or near-flatfoot an R1200RT being used for commuting/touring. I'm 5'6" with short legs. What has worked for you?

Muller, look up either Sargent or Seth Laamb seat.

Talk with Mark at Sargent and share your situation with him. He is a very congenial, super good customer service

Seth is talented guy, but he can be difficult to deal with. You need good communication skills to tolerate him sometimes. But he also can make a comfy seat without raising you to the moon like RDL.

...realized this was a redundant post as there were several comments already posted about Terry's...

Bill Mayer Saddles

I had a Rick Mayer saddle on my '09 R12gs that I liked. He's no longer making motorcycle seats so I've been thinking about a BMS (Bill Mayer Saddle) for my RT. Does anyone have any feedback for me on them? Especially personal experience with comparison to other custom seats.

I have had 2 BMS seats, customer service was great. I would be riding up there this week for a 3rd but the recent fires have put a crimp on local hotels, not sure how the employees have faired. Each saddle took about 500 miles to break in
FYI: rocky now lives in Idaho and only handles sales, the 2 guys who used to work for him now own the shop

Jim

I had a Rick Meyer back when I had an 09 Rt.
The seat was so badly made it ll take me an hour to describe suffice to say returned it but the guy kept my seat pan.
I have heard horror stories about both Meyers. However just recently Inread a post about one person who liked a Meyer.

My recommendation is to get a Sargent. They are making great seats nowadays. A other option is Seth Laam, it's best to go by his house in Shasta CA and have it made right there. A caveat on Seth: he can be a difficult person to get along with. He is a talented seat make but an eccentric dude.

The RDL are very comfy but your seat will raise quite a bit. 1.5 to 2 inch according to Jay.

Your best bet is a Sarge if you ask me.

I got nothing good to say about the Ultimate nor Corbin.

Yes, I have spent a lot of foolish money looking for a nice place for me arses.

Rick Meyer Long outa business, bill (rocky) are alive and well in Ventura, i’ve Always been treated well by them
Really wanted to like RDL seats, but pricing is all over the place, way to many sur charges for my taste just saying

Can't comment for you road guys but for the offroad, rally set Renazco is one of the best. I have them on 2 bikes.

Iffin your a bit short on hips.......or suffer from a case of “Noassatol”, a good seat is tough to find.
I always thought a dealer with a wide selection of “trial” seats would do well.
OM

Wunderlich

Wunderlich GS seats look great on their website, but I’ve never seen one on a GS. Does anyone here ride one?

Last edited:
Sargents are firmer than most, due to the foam they use. But once broken in, comfort level very high.

Ran one on my R1200RT for seven years, including plenty of long-distance touring. Was sad to see it go when I traded the bike. :violin

Wunderlich GS seats look great on their website, but I’ve never seen one on a GS. Does anyone here ride one?

I had one of them also on my RT
It was hard as a rock, worse than the Corbin.
I have not had a GS, but I suspect they be the same.

I feel your searching pain while I wish no one my spending pain I have spent on seats. And I can tell you with some confidence that there are two viable seat choices for an RT (if u want comfort: Sargent and RDL

Seats

We just ordered the Day Long's, front, back, both backrests for my RT. Have sat on several (with permission - thanks to all those guys I don't know that let me sit on their rides!) and decided to just bite the bullet. Based on these conversations, my expectations are pretty high. Hope you find your answer!

Jerry

We just ordered the Day Long's, front, back, both backrests for my RT. Have sat on several (with permission - thanks to all those guys I don't know that let me sit on their rides!) and decided to just bite the bullet. Based on these conversations, my expectations are pretty high. Hope you find your answer!

Jerry

I hope you can report back on how you like it :thumb
OM

I’ve ridden about 5K on Sargeant seat on my ‘17 RT. At first it seemed really firm and I’d start squirming after about 500 miles. Either I have adjusted to it, or it’s broken in a bit, because I can now go about 700 miles before I start getting uncomfortable. For really long days I’ll throw my AirHawk on when I start getting uncomfortable and give it just a slight inflation — let’s me go for a few more hours. The Sargeant isn’t perfect, but it’s pretty darn good. The tractor-type seats like the RDL make it difficult for me to slide side to side, which takes some of the fun out of a spirited ride in the twisties.

RDL finally came!!

Jerry

As I said I would, here is a pic of the new saddle. It finally came, although it seemed like a lot longer than it actually was. Working with the Russell guys was awesome.

Attachments

• NewSaddle.jpg
    NewSaddle.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 115
I finally coughed up $500 and ordered a his/hers bucket-style seat from Terry's Custom Seats with a May 21st build date. Just in time to get it back to ride to the national rally!

I'm very happy with my Sargent. :dance I like it better than the BMS I had on my last RT.

My brother has a RDL on his K16GT. I've ridden it, it's a comfy seat but it's so much taller than the stock I had on my K16GTL. I found it hard to move in the seat while riding and the taller seat changes the ergos a bit too.

oh yeah, BMW moto stock seats are devices of torture. They belong in the Mittelalterliches Kriminalmuseum in Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Back