• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another Seat attempt

Wethead

I just got a Sargent seat (for RT).

It seems like its hard as a rock--pretty firm.

I was wondering if any of you all experience on of these seats over a period of time? and do they break in to a more comfy level?

I do like the width, but shocks!, it seems like this seat would be murder on a cross country trip.

I was wondering if any of you all experience on of these seats over a period of time? and do they break in to a more comfy level?

I do like the width, but shocks!, it seems like this seat would be murder on a cross country trip.

I got mine about a month ago and at first it felt like an improvement in some ways over stock, but worse in others. The seating area was more supportive, but the seat cut into my legs a bit, especially when waiting at the stop light.

After using the seat for several weeks, I have either gotten used to it, or it has broken in (or both). I have done a few rides that were a few hours long, and one all day ride that was 387 miles (much of which was twisty canyon roads) over 11 hours.

The seat is not a panacea, but it is definitely an improvement over stock in my opinion.

For ultimate long ride comfort, most talk about Russel Day Long as being the best option, but I can't get over the looks of it, and the fact that the stock seat needs to be destroyed to harvest the seat pan.

20180725_084124_small.jpg

Works for me , I put over 87K miles on the Sargent seat on my 14RT with many 12hr 800 mile days and a few over 16hr and 1K+ days and never had a problem , as a matter of fact that seat is now on my 18RT and it performs like new. You won't know till you try it on a long ride and if it doesn't do the job you can return it within 30 days for a full refund . So get out there and put on some serious miles.

I've only put a few hundred miles on my new Sargent seat. It's better than the stock seat. Not great, but good imho. I'm headed out for another 2 week ride. I may have more to say when I get back :nod

I was pretty worried about the firmness (sat on a prototype at their shop in Jax) but with the 30 day trial period I bought one. I guess it's all in the shape because I can be in the Sargent saddle all day. On the return leg of my first road trip with the BMW stock seat I stopped at EVERY interstate rest stop to get my butt off that seat for a bit. The Sargent seat works very well for me. I've put about 25K miles on the Sargent seat and it seems just as firm as day one...not sure if it will every break in but maybe that's by design.

Bite the bullet. Get the Russell Day Long. No break in required. I went through stock, comfort, second hand Corbin and a made-for-me Corbin. I had to buy an Airhawk cushion in Rapid City to complete my ride home from Billings on that Corbin. As soon as I got home, I ordered the RDL. No regrets after 25,000 miles on it.

Doug

Danny Gray - AirHawk

I bought a Danny Gray/AirHawk seat in June. When I received the seat I installed it in the high position and found a problem with the seat pan. The lower seat setting worked fine. Luckily I live close to Des Moines and a representative came to my house to look at the problem during the rally. The seat pan had a design flaw and the entire seat will be replaced with a new one. Since I was leaving on a 2700 mile vacation, he asked me to give him some feedback after the trip. There were a couple of design issues that I addressed to them. mainly with where seams in the seat are located and a little re shaping. So far, I am pretty happy with the seat. When they hopefully make the changes I requested, it should be an awesome seat.

BTW: One thing to note on the Sargent seat...

If you run the seat in the High position, there are some rubber bumpers that you must install under the seat.

The instructions were not explicit as to whether those bumpers were supposed to be screwed all the way into the seat pan, or whether they should be left out so that they contact the motorcycle's frame. I sent a message to Sargent to get clarification and they said that the bumpers should be screwed all the way into the pan and that leaving them out to contact the frame can cause issues and tear the threaded insert out of the pan.

Last September, I rode from MA to FL and back with the stock seat. VERY uncomfortable, even with the Airhawk cushion alternating with the Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad. Bought a Sargent seat off CL for $209 and it's been a vast improvement over the stock seat. I did a cross-country ride in June(San Diego to MA) and it fared very well. It's a keeper for me. A RDL seat might be even better, but I have a little difficulty swallowing a $1000 price tag. If I were doing several LD trips a year or more "serious" touring, then maybe a RDL would be in order. Maybe try an Airhawk or Alaskan pad to your Sargent?

Too-firm saddle and comfort were my major concerns over the stock saddle, which I could not endure.

I have not tried a Sargent, but Wethead's comment above makes me leery about them.

I have Russell Day Longs on my 2015 and 2017 RTs. They have done the trick for me. That is why I have two of them.

Russell-saddles.jpg

Last edited:
Too-firm saddle and comfort were my major concerns over the stock saddle.

I have not tried a Sargent, but Wethead's comment above makes me leery about them.

I have Russell Day Longs on my 2015 and 2017 RTs. They have done the trick for me. That is why I have two of them.

Russell-saddles.jpg

Jeff, did you notice any difference in seat height going from stock to the Russell?

Jeff, did you notice any difference in seat height going from stock to the Russell?

Yes. I think they are a little higher than stock.

I have a 33 inch (84 cm) inseam. I reset the seat heights in the motorcycles to L (low) as I broke the saddles in. Then I set them back to H (high) after that period and they now are fine. Absolutely wonderful saddles.

I found the Sargent vastly superior to the OEM seat. The additional firmness doesn't bother me, although a little more relief in the sitz-bone area would be appreciated. The groove down the middle relieves pressure on my prostate which is a good thing. I typically go 400-ish miles/day when I'm traveling and have been out for 7 weeks so far this summer. Last summer I was out 3 1/2 months.

Yes, a Russell will add height. When I talked to them about my concerns, they said that since I'm already at the edge of my comfort zone with the OEM seat in the low position (29" inseam) that they would NOT recommend I buy one of their seats because it would be too high for me. They could have sold me a seat I'd have been unhappy with but were up front about what I'd be getting into. They felt it was better to not make the sale than have an unhappy customer - kudos to them.

On my F800GS, the stock seat was very uncomfortable, even with seating accessories. I bought a Sargent and it was a bit better (for me) and allowed for seating accessories I had tried to "work" better. I would really like a RDL......If I could do a ride in and have them measure- I would. I don't know how well the long distance measuring/fitting would work for me.
OM

I found the Sargent seat okay, not great and very overpriced. On my GSA I went with a Terry’s Custom Seat. I’ve got over 10,000 miles on it and I am very happy. Only $250 plus shipping.

http://terryscustomseats.com

This picture was taken shortly after I received the seat. It was shipped tightly wrapped in plastic wrap which caused a few wrinkles. They were soon gone.

IMG_5062.jpg

Rich's Custom Seats

I had the seat redone on mt last two RTs by Rich's Custom Seats near Seattle. Both my wife and I have found the seats quite comfortable. The Russel would have been too tall for me and they advised against buying their saddle. Last fall we had to race against a early fall blizzard as I had to get home for an appointment while others were storm stayed for several days. We rode through rain, sleet and blowing snow for over 18 hours, passed many vehicles in the ditch, a very miserable and cold ride but my seat, with the heat on, was comfortable. Not cheap but a good long term investment. Robyn

I went a few happy years and lots of miles on a Sargent seat with an Alaska Leather sheepskin to cush it up. I finally succumbed, as I always do, and replaced it with a heated leather Russell seat.

For ultimate long ride comfort, most talk about Russel Day Long as being the best option, but I can't get over the looks of it, and the fact that the stock seat needs to be destroyed to harvest the seat pan.

I got the RDL, have spent a few all-day rides on it and many shorter rides. I don't think it looks nearly as sexy on a parked machine as many others might, but I guess I'm lucky, I can't see it when I'm riding. :)

Last edited:
Back