Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another Seat attempt

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Terry’s Custom Seat.

http://terryscustomseats.com
    First I have heard of this option. Looks like a much cheaper version of the RDL. Interesting. Love our RDL's but spent about $650 for both seats for my 07RT 4 years ago during their holiday discount.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    +1 on Terry's

I had him make a seat for another bike, and it was nice. I referred a friend, and his seat turned out well also.

Cap

Rich's Custom Seats

I had the seat redone on mt last two RTs by Rich's Custom Seats near Seattle. Both my wife and I have found the seats quite comfortable. The Russel would have been too tall for me and they advised against buying their saddle. Last fall we had to race against a early fall blizzard as I had to get home for an appointment while others were storm stayed for several days. We rode through rain, sleet and blowing snow for over 18 hours, passed many vehicles in the ditch, a very miserable and cold ride but my seat, with the heat on, was comfortable. Not cheap but a good long term investment. Robyn

I went a few happy years and lots of miles on a Sargent seat with an Alaska Leather sheepskin to cush it up. I finally succumbed, as I always do, and replaced it with a heated leather Russell seat.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1976 R75/6 - 1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

[QUOTE=algerlotz;1138067]
    For ultimate long ride comfort, most talk about Russel Day Long as being the best option, but I can't get over the looks of it, and the fact that the stock seat needs to be destroyed to harvest the seat pan.

I got the RDL, have spent a few all-day rides on it and many shorter rides. I don't think it looks nearly as sexy on a parked machine as many others might, but I guess I'm lucky, I can't see it when I'm riding.
    Last edited by Stebe; 08-19-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Seat Problem

Every BMW I have owned I immediately remove the BMW Torture Device they call a seat and get Russel to make me a proper one. Excellent and can ride all day without any discomfort at all. They have excellent service if you drive there or mail your seat in. It will be the best money you ever spent.
    David Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2015 R1200GSA-LC

Quote Originally Posted by 105258 View Post
    Every BMW I have owned I immediately remove the BMW Torture Device they call a seat and get Russel to make me a proper one. Excellent and can ride all day without any discomfort at all. They have excellent service if you drive there or mail your seat in. It will be the best money you ever spent.
    Agree. Except for the K1200LT. It was the only BMW I have ever owned where the stock saddle was good enough.
    Jeff Dean − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    '17 R1200RT, '15 R1200RT, '67 R60/2, '69 R60US, '55 R67/3, '49 R24

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    Agree. Except for the K1200LT. It was the only BMW I have ever owned where the stock saddle was good enough.
    My '86 K75T came with a double bucket touring saddle which worked and fit fine for the first 250,000 miles until I had Bill Mayer, Sr. build me a solo seat so I could mount a huge Harley FLH trunk where the passenger would usually sit. This was to prep the bike for the 1999 Iron Butt Rally. My R1150R had an OK seat too. My brand new G310GS has a seat I can tolerate for 400 mile days just fine. Doing 700 or 800 might require a different seat.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/