Thread: BMW Panniers on GSA difficult to lock

BMW Panniers on GSA difficult to lock

Any suggestions on how to loosen my locks on the side panniers. I can barely get my key to turn and getting the key out I see almost impossible. I wasn't thinking about spraying some graphite in the key hole but not sure. I'm wondering if I should try some new locks

Quote Originally Posted by jemmons View Post
    Any suggestions on how to loosen my locks on the side panniers. I can barely get my key to turn and getting the key out I see almost impossible. I wasn't thinking about spraying some graphite in the key hole but not sure. I'm wondering if I should try some new locks
    Any reason to suspect the key itself? Is it the original that came with the bike? Does the plastic key seem to work any differently?

Do all the of locks have a similar degree of tightness/stickiness? Has some kind of lube already been sprayed in each lock cylinder?

Does pressing in on the latches while turning the key seem to free up the locks?

Yes, maybe all of the locks could use some graphite, but I'd be more inclined to see whether cleaning them would be better than lubing them now.
    '17.5 R1200GS
    Priors: '16 R1200R, '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5 (LWB).

Bearsnr134
    Quote Originally Posted by jemmons View Post
    I have had the same problem and it was caused by not having the pannier on all the way. I needed to make sure the pannier was fully seated before latching it on and turning the key. At times it was difficult to do so, especially the one on the exhaust side.

Since the key fob blade can be bent or broken much too easily, I ordered a non-electronic key through the dealership for around $25 so that I don't accidentally damage the fob. This key is quite sturdy and works the pannier locks more easily.

--- Don
    2015 BMW R1200GSA.......2008 Kaw Concours 14......1974 Kaw Z1
    2013 Triumph Trophy SE....2004 BWM R1150RT..........1973 Kaw H1
    2010 Kaw Concours 14......1981 Kaw KZ1000

My issue is also just on the exhaust side, at first I couldn't even get the latch closed so I figured the box was not secured all the way. Once I was able to get the latch to close I can't get the key to turn. I just ordered that non electric key asyour right i feel if I turn to hard it will snap