Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lets talk riding modes please

Well, obviously your thoughts are incorrect! If they were, Germany would have made it that way.

I'm guessing that the idea was, pictures are a universal language, let's use that! As Mr Friedle has said, find what works for you and use it. My settings rarely change.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

If someone wants weights for the three settings, a reasonable guess would be to use the average weight for people and the maximum weights for the cases.

Average male weight:
    United States 191 lbs (87 kg)
    Germany 182 lbs (82.4 kg)

Average female weight:
    United States 164 lbs (74.4 kg)
    Germany 149 lbs (67.5 kg)

Side and top cases each:
    22 lbs (10 kg)

So:
    1 helmet = about 190 lbs - 90 kg
    1 helmet + luggage = about 250 lbs - 115 kg
    2 helmet = about 410 lbs - 185 kg

I don't know if those were the design parameters the engineers had in mind, but I don't know how else they could do it. I am pretty light (60 kg), so me + luggage is about the 1 helmet setting. I have tried the other two settings and it feels too stiff if the road has even a modest amount of bumpiness.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    Well, obviously your thoughts are incorrect! If they were, Germany would have made it that way.

I'm guessing that the idea was, pictures are a universal language, let's use that! As Mr Friedle has said, find what works for you and use it. My settings rarely change.
    I normally run one helmet with 20#'s in the panniers. I'm 180 #'s myself. When I ride two up, two helmets obviously. Both settings run in "normal" mode on the streets putting around. One the twisties, I move to "sport" mode.

When I went to Ak. last month with panniers weighing 17#'s each and rear seat removed and 2 dry bags that weighed a total of 61#'s, I rode two helmets normal until we hit mountain twisties and dirt and changed to sport mode. When I got back on the main highways coming home, within 100 miles I could feel the bike wasn't riding as I thought it should, and remembered to switch back to "normal" mode from sport. The bike then behaved much better when taking bumps [ meaning it was more gentle and rolling over them not stiff ].

I could tell the difference between sport and normal mode quickly based on how the bike took bumps in the road. I rarely run comfort mode at all unless it's newly tarred road, mainly long straights and few twisties.

When I play on the fire roads or trailhead roads I use first mountain mode one up with the 20#'s on the panniers. I can instantly tell the difference in how the bike performs on those roads and I feel as if mountain mode gives me more control and stability. It may or may not, but I believe it does and isn't just in my head.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr