Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: going to need new tires soon

New tires

I do change & balance my own tires.

Ran on my 2015 RT PR4. I like them.
    Ran a set of RSIII on My ST1300 Really like the feel, no problems wet Or dry.
    Mounted a set on the 2015 RT1200. Just got back running in a bit of rain in the Northeast, 3 days. RSIII solid performance. Hit 2 tar snake roads, Some push, nothing to write about. The same U get from any tire.

The answer= would I buy them again? Yes.

This is a very interesting thread. It pretty much says there are some fans of each tire made and no strong majority for any one.

Some love P4's and some dislike them.

Some love the Metzlers and others dislike them.

Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Thanks to all who responded, great information and gives me something to think about. Alan Coles especially with that detailed study, I loved that. I have to say that one point you made resonates with me, there are very few really bad tires out there today. I've thought about this often, especially in the last 20 years, how much better tire technology is than when I started riding in 1973. Back then the quality between different tires could vary widely, and at their best, most of them were not good, at least when compared to today. Rain, tar snakes, grooved roads, grate bridges, all sphincter-tightening experiences. Now? Ride on, no fear.

Good conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    This is a very interesting thread. It pretty much says there are some fans of each tire made and no strong majority for any one.

Some love P4's and some dislike them.

Some love the Metzlers and others dislike them.

Exactly, and some get 4 for 5K miles out of a set and others get 15K. Its all preference and riding style.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

[QUOTE=Stebe;1137944]I'm on a 2016 R1200RT, do a good bit of two up riding, touring and secondary roads mostly. I'm at about 8,200 miles currently and still have the stock Michelin tires the bike came with. Overall, I've been pretty happy with them. No complaints except maybe that the bike seems twitchy to me, however it is my first non-Harley bike in over 30 years. Loved my Harleys, but this machine is uber-fantastic! I won't be returning to the fold, I'm a Beemer Believer now.

I went through about eight sets of PR4GTs on my 04RT and ten sets on my 14RT , I usually get 10-11K miles average wear for a set so after 180k miles on PR4GTs I think I'll be sticking with them ,I also have them on my current ride an 18RT. Excellent tire in any type of weather ( I ride year round here in PA ) and will probably go with the PR5GTs when they come out next year. I racked up forty years on Harleys before going to BMW in 2010 and have never looked back.

Douglas Williams
    On my camhead R bike, I've had no problem with the Z8. My last two sets, though, have been the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2. Handling is neutral and the wear is excellent. Although sold as a 90/10, the are formidable road tires.

Doug
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    You're welcome Roger like one of the articles says and I tend to agree, there isn't a huge difference between the top tires in performance when the pressures and other conditions are all controlled properly. We must remember though that these tests are short-term controlled tests that identify how the tires work/react/wear under those conditions but they provide great info on what the tires will actually do.

Like others, after putting 5k-10k on any given set of tires there will have been times when the air pressure wasn't spot on for the load, etc. My real-world experience has been that the original Z8 wore quicker than my 01 which seems to be lasting better than any previous tire I've run on the RT. I too, had more noticable scalloping on the PR3, PR4 and and Z8 with very little on the 01.
    I read the moto-tyres link and didn't see any detail but the blind-test ratings of 7.3 for the PR4s and 9.8 for the Metzlers suggest that there was a noticeable difference in the tires. Since I haven't been impressed with the PR4s it gives me some hope that I'll like the Metzlers better.

[QUOTE=rhaines;1138122]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stebe View Post
    and still have the stock Michelin tires the bike came with...No complaints except maybe that the bike seems twitchy to me
    If you are experiencing twitchy on the Michelins the Pirelli Angel GT takes twitchy to a whole new level! I had 22K miles on the bike before installing Angel GT and geez it was a good 500miles before I acclimated to those tires, coming from PR4GT. That twitchiness translated to poor ability to hold lines in curves compared to the PR4GT which was decent in those terms. The Angle GT also wore in 4 discrete planes of wear I I think if anything holding lines got worse as the tire wore. Turn-in was too easy as it were. Here are the Angel GT w/ about 6500m on them:

Screen_Shot_2018-05-12_at_6.51.23_AM.jpg

Here are the Conti RA3's after about 5K miles which show a more uniform curvature--can't seem to rotate the photo:

IMG_2882.jpg
    Last edited by ncpbmw1953; 08-11-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Good to know. That's a pretty steep profile, to me. I'm leaning hard toward the Metzler's or the Continentals. I won't be horribly disappointed if I end up with the Michelins again for some reason, I just like to try what's out there.

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    I just replaced the front tire with another PR4GT after 14500 miles on that. I get 12K out of a rear and 14-15 out of the front which is fine by me. Can't wait for the PR5 GT to come out.
    Over the years most of us have tried different brand tires and Im sure they are all fine and it really boils down to personal preference and the area one rides in.
    Down here the tarmac is made with crushed lime rock/coral rock, so yes it is rough on tires of all kinds. The Michelins seem to wear the best so far which was/is the same for my trucks and cars... YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

No one has mentioned the Avon Spirit ST. I am on my 3rd set of those and really like them. I got the last set from riders domain for $195....yes that was for both. They had a sale $20 off each tire.

Last set went 8500 miles.

Ron
    IBA 45658 MOA167437
    728,482 miles on touring motorcycles

Total BMW miles 490,099

Quote Originally Posted by Stebe View Post
    Good to know. That's a pretty steep profile, to me. I'm leaning hard toward the Metzler's or the Continentals. I won't be horribly disappointed if I end up with the Michelins again for some reason, I just like to try what's out there.
    I believe Michelin's popularity comes mostly from the appearance of the tire, and the name and reputation, versus the real characteristics of the PR tires. That they cupped so badly for me at well under 2K miles at the recommended pressure is not something I will endorse when it doesn't need to happen, and as well at the 40psi it takes to retard cupping you lose a little contact patch. The Metz Roadtec 01 sounds like a great tire by almost all accounts, but tends to be noisy I've read. The Conti RoadAttack 3 is a 10 out of 10, except perhaps the siping design isn't nearly as fancy and pretty as the Roadtec 01 nor Michelins, but contributes to its stability in grooved pavement.

Krmugin
    I ride a camhead, but Continental are the tires for me. I've tried pretty much everyting out there over 65,000 miles, on this motorcycle.
    None of the Michelins felt really planted in turns.

The Roadtec 01 was very planted and stable in turns. It developed a road noise from the rear tire that was so bad that I almost sent a good final drive off for a rebuild. Until I changed the worn tires, and it all went away. Super great in the wet, and a very round profile. Not 'tippy' like the bridgestones and the Angel GT???, but very responsive and confidence inspiring. But the noise, and fear of worn bearings...

Had the Bridgestone Roadsmart 3?, and won't have that one again. Stop and go driving, and parking lots make me look like a drunk sailor. The tire is too egg shaped and wants to turn, even when it should go straight. Won't have any of the Michelins either (the newest ones aren't rated for the RT, anyway.)

My second favorite were the Angel GT. That is a really, really good tire.

But my hands-down favorite is the Continental Road Attack 3. It is very responsive, and confidence inspiring at speed. Yet it still handles well in the parking lot. Tread life appears good, though I only have about 5K miles on them.

Quote Originally Posted by kurmugin View Post
    But my hands-down favorite is the Continental Road Attack 3. It is very responsive, and confidence inspiring at speed. Yet it still handles well in the parking lot. Tread life appears good, though I only have about 5K miles on them.
    Have you had them long enough to see how long they'll go, and how they performed at end of life? I predict once people try them they will be hard pressed to feel a need to continue searching for a better tire. They do everything as well as one would hope.

Thumbs up

I still have the stock Michelin's on my 16 RT with 11,550 mi. These are the best tires I ever had on a motorcycle. The front tire on my 2000RT used to cup after 2500 mi.