• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

going to need new tires soon

On my camhead R bike, I've had no problem with the Z8. My last two sets, though, have been the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2. Handling is neutral and the wear is excellent. Although sold as a 90/10, the are formidable road tires.

Doug

You're welcome Roger like one of the articles says and I tend to agree, there isn't a huge difference between the top tires in performance when the pressures and other conditions are all controlled properly. We must remember though that these tests are short-term controlled tests that identify how the tires work/react/wear under those conditions but they provide great info on what the tires will actually do.

Like others, after putting 5k-10k on any given set of tires there will have been times when the air pressure wasn't spot on for the load, etc. My real-world experience has been that the original Z8 wore quicker than my 01 which seems to be lasting better than any previous tire I've run on the RT. I too, had more noticable scalloping on the PR3, PR4 and and Z8 with very little on the 01.

I read the moto-tyres link and didn't see any detail but the blind-test ratings of 7.3 for the PR4s and 9.8 for the Metzlers suggest that there was a noticeable difference in the tires. Since I haven't been impressed with the PR4s it gives me some hope that I'll like the Metzlers better.

and still have the stock Michelin tires the bike came with...No complaints except maybe that the bike seems twitchy to me

If you are experiencing twitchy on the Michelins the Pirelli Angel GT takes twitchy to a whole new level! I had 22K miles on the bike before installing Angel GT and geez it was a good 500miles before I acclimated to those tires, coming from PR4GT. That twitchiness translated to poor ability to hold lines in curves compared to the PR4GT which was decent in those terms. The Angle GT also wore in 4 discrete planes of wear I I think if anything holding lines got worse as the tire wore. Turn-in was too easy as it were. Here are the Angel GT w/ about 6500m on them:

Screen_Shot_2018-05-12_at_6.51.23_AM.jpg

Here are the Conti RA3's after about 5K miles which show a more uniform curvature--can't seem to rotate the photo:

IMG_2882.jpg

Last edited:
Good to know. That's a pretty steep profile, to me. I'm leaning hard toward the Metzler's or the Continentals. I won't be horribly disappointed if I end up with the Michelins again for some reason, I just like to try what's out there.

I just replaced the front tire with another PR4GT after 14500 miles on that. I get 12K out of a rear and 14-15 out of the front which is fine by me. Can't wait for the PR5 GT to come out.
Over the years most of us have tried different brand tires and Im sure they are all fine and it really boils down to personal preference and the area one rides in.
Down here the tarmac is made with crushed lime rock/coral rock, so yes it is rough on tires of all kinds. The Michelins seem to wear the best so far which was/is the same for my trucks and cars... YMMV

No one has mentioned the Avon Spirit ST. I am on my 3rd set of those and really like them. I got the last set from riders domain for $195....yes that was for both. They had a sale $20 off each tire.

Last set went 8500 miles.

Ron

Good to know. That's a pretty steep profile, to me. I'm leaning hard toward the Metzler's or the Continentals. I won't be horribly disappointed if I end up with the Michelins again for some reason, I just like to try what's out there.

I believe Michelin's popularity comes mostly from the appearance of the tire, and the name and reputation, versus the real characteristics of the PR tires. That they cupped so badly for me at well under 2K miles at the recommended pressure is not something I will endorse when it doesn't need to happen, and as well at the 40psi it takes to retard cupping you lose a little contact patch. The Metz Roadtec 01 sounds like a great tire by almost all accounts, but tends to be noisy I've read. The Conti RoadAttack 3 is a 10 out of 10, except perhaps the siping design isn't nearly as fancy and pretty as the Roadtec 01 nor Michelins, but contributes to its stability in grooved pavement.

I ride a camhead, but Continental are the tires for me. I've tried pretty much everyting out there over 65,000 miles, on this motorcycle.
None of the Michelins felt really planted in turns.

The Roadtec 01 was very planted and stable in turns. It developed a road noise from the rear tire that was so bad that I almost sent a good final drive off for a rebuild. Until I changed the worn tires, and it all went away. Super great in the wet, and a very round profile. Not 'tippy' like the bridgestones and the Angel GT???, but very responsive and confidence inspiring. But the noise, and fear of worn bearings...

Had the Bridgestone Roadsmart 3?, and won't have that one again. Stop and go driving, and parking lots make me look like a drunk sailor. The tire is too egg shaped and wants to turn, even when it should go straight. Won't have any of the Michelins either (the newest ones aren't rated for the RT, anyway.)

My second favorite were the Angel GT. That is a really, really good tire.

But my hands-down favorite is the Continental Road Attack 3. It is very responsive, and confidence inspiring at speed. Yet it still handles well in the parking lot. Tread life appears good, though I only have about 5K miles on them.

But my hands-down favorite is the Continental Road Attack 3. It is very responsive, and confidence inspiring at speed. Yet it still handles well in the parking lot. Tread life appears good, though I only have about 5K miles on them.

Have you had them long enough to see how long they'll go, and how they performed at end of life? I predict once people try them they will be hard pressed to feel a need to continue searching for a better tire. They do everything as well as one would hope.

I still have the stock Michelin's on my 16 RT with 11,550 mi. These are the best tires I ever had on a motorcycle. The front tire on my 2000RT used to cup after 2500 mi.

If you are experiencing twitchy on the Michelins the Pirelli Angel GT takes twitchy to a whole new level! I had 22K miles on the bike before installing Angel GT and geez it was a good 500miles before I acclimated to those tires, coming from PR4GT. That twitchiness translated to poor ability to hold lines in curves compared to the PR4GT which was decent in those terms. The Angle GT also wore in 4 discrete planes of wear I I think if anything holding lines got worse as the tire wore. Turn-in was too easy as it were. Here are the Angel GT w/ about 6500m on them:

View attachment 69698

Here are the Conti RA3's after about 5K miles which show a more uniform curvature--can't seem to rotate the photo:

View attachment 69699

Interesting! Your experience with the Angel GT mirrors mine! Although you're much more scientific about it than I am. Twitchy at first, loved the way they handled after about 500 miles, noticed serious "chicken strips" at about 5,500 miles. The Angel GTs handle great in the rain, but I think I'll try something different next time.

So, I ended up buying the Continental Road Attack 3's. Getting them put on next week, we'll see how it goes. Thanks to all who responded to the question. :wave

So, I ended up buying the Continental Road Attack 3's. Getting them put on next week, we'll see how it goes. Thanks to all who responded to the question. :wave

I got mine yesterday, but have only have a total of 5 miles on them from riding home. I'm looking forward to putting them though their paces.

One item of note. My installer said that they took "a lot of weight" compared to the Metzeler Roadtec 01. In fact the rear tire want a whole lot, so he spun it 180 degrees on the rim and then tried to balance again, which was better. Even so, both front and rear required increases in weight.

I'll be curious to see if the same is true of your tires.

I got mine yesterday, but have only have a total of 5 miles on them from riding home. I'm looking forward to putting them though their paces.

One item of note. My installer said that they took "a lot of weight" compared to the Metzeler Roadtec 01. In fact the rear tire want a whole lot, so he spun it 180 degrees on the rim and then tried to balance again, which was better. Even so, both front and rear required increases in weight.

I have mine being installed tomorrow, and Ill post here on the weight on both front and rear.
Im very excited to get them tested out, also it looks like Metzler is going to warranty my tires, the benefits I think of having a reputable dealer.

It turned out the rear tire required the same weight, the front was one weight less than the Michelins had been. Mechanic said RT's tend to need a bit of weight due to the monitoring system, more than due to whatever tire was being used.

I tried to pay attention to differences on the way home, 150 miles, of course the Michelins were worn. The bike still wanders easily, although perhaps not quite as twitchy as before, I think that just "is what it is", so to speak, but trying to remember what the PR-4's were when new these (Continentals) seem quieter, very smooth ride, gripped well when dipping deep in corners. Are there any differences that are significant? I probably lack the skill to know. We'll see how they do in the rain. They do seem quieter than the Michelins ever were.

I Are there any differences that are significant? I probably lack the skill to know. We'll see how they do in the rain. They do seem quieter than the Michelins ever were.

Yep--the RA3's do not scallop at standard psi like the PT4GT does, they retain their shape best, make no significant noise, have fabulous grip on dry or wet. The only unknown for me is how long they will last. I'm at almost 6K now and lots of life left. They are the best tire for line holding for this motorcycle, at least compared to Michelin and Pirelli Angel GT.

IMO the only thing that gets Mich PR4GT's apparent large following is advertising (and the fact it has been the first tire on the bike for many, and why I bought a 2nd set!) and herd mentality!

Sportmax roadsmart iii

I just bought a set of SPORTMAX ROADSMART III tires today. They currently are running a $50 rebate which makes the tire pretty darned cheap ($239 less tax for a set). I am not ready for new tires but will be in another month. If you have them installed, they give another $25 in rebates. I ran them on my FJR1300 and had no issues.

tires

Go to Chaparral.com they are offering Dunlop road smart 2s for unbelievable prices, seems they bought up all they could and I just got a set for my 2014RT for less than $300 for the pair shipped to my house

Yep--the RA3's do not scallop at standard psi like the PT4GT does, they retain their shape best, make no significant noise, have fabulous grip on dry or wet. The only unknown for me is how long they will last. I'm at almost 6K now and lots of life left. They are the best tire for line holding for this motorcycle, at least compared to Michelin and Pirelli Angel GT.

IMO the only thing that gets Mich PR4GT's apparent large following is advertising (and the fact it has been the first tire on the bike for many, and why I bought a 2nd set!) and herd mentality!

If you look at the photo's real close of the new 2019 RT you will see Metzlers on it.

So you are correct its all about advertising that gets certain tires noticed.
These RA3's I feel so far are going to be awesome.

Took about an 85 mile loop on well known roads today, ran through a couple rain showers, these RA-3's are decidedly great tires. I'm very happy with the outcome. :dance

Back