• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stump the Chump...

lmo1131

Can anyone identify the windshield in this old photo?

As high as it is mounted, and with the open area below it, perhaps there was a skirt associated with it. There also appears to be a "scoop" near the top edge.

38516123_10211859907150107_2565452530758713344_n.jpg

I'd expect that shield to vibrate wildly, seems to be poorly supported for the height. Very distorted plastic, but the scoop would be effective for blocking the forward view. Certainly will not be looking over that one.
I'm glad things have progressed in the last half-century.

Can not make out the logo, J-U-E-something-something?
John_Hopkins.jpg

From the book White Nile Diaries by John Hopkins. Hmmm....

mia culpa, I didn't post the accompanying caption... which was,

Travel writer/diarist John Hopkins (seated on motorcycle) was born in Orange, New Jersey on August 5, 1938.

didn't really add that much, did it... :p

edit, mo' betta photo

1280px-John_Hopkins.jpg

The logo looks like the "Ideal" logo on Steib sidecar repro windscreens.

Friedle

Michael -

I think you've hit it on the head. I was thinking the logo was "JOE..." but it does look more like an "I" instead. I wonder if the fairing we're seeing is meant for a sidecar but someone thought they could modify it somehow for a handlebar mounted fairing. If it were mounted on a sidecar, that louver arrangement at top would be above the chair's vision and help to lift the airflow up and over the sidecar.

Heinkel scooter wind screen

I would guess it is a early 1960s Heinkel scooter wind screen without the lower plastic portion in place. Wonder if the date jives???????????????

Looks just like it. The scooter ones had a green upper scoop which the picture looks to have also.

My guess...............

GD

I think we have a winner, GD!! Nice eye!

:thumb Well I cheated a little. :hide

I actually rode one of these, no side car, in the early 1960s which the family of my dad's business partner had brought back from Europe. Had twist grip shifting..............

Way out in the country on the farm very young kids rode it all around the country roads dodging tractors and farm animals. Never knew what happened to it as we moved a few miles away at that time.

GD

Have never seen a picture of it or me on it in my parents archives. Not even a photo of me on my first "motor bike", a tote goat with Briggs 3 1/2 HP engine from that era either.

:gerg The good old days have me passed by............................. :dunno

GD

Back