• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Platinum Roadside Assistance & Tire Hazard

IBA# 5819
Anyone have any real world experience with the MOA Platinum Roadside Assistance & Tire Hazard membership plan?
Opinions? Pro? Con? Success stories? Horror stories?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

I used it last summer when my trailer tire gave out. I did get a tow, but they refused to send a truck until I found a shop that had a tire. They required an address for me to be delivered to before dispatching a truck. Being a stranger in those parts, I had no idea what services were available and tried unsuccessfully to explain that a local tow operator would/should know what tire shops were nearby. Fortunately a state trooper stopped who used his computer to find a shop that had a tire in stock that I needed. Then I had to contact the company again with that information and then a truck was sent out.

Anyone have any real world experience with the MOA Platinum Roadside Assistance & Tire Hazard membership plan?
Opinions? Pro? Con? Success stories? Horror stories?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Apparently the program works well enough that the provider could substantially raise the price of the service this season. :)

Friedle

I'll drop the roadside assistance this year. For me, it is a function of risk management.

As a member of the AMA, I automatically have roadside assistance. It's only 35 miles instead of 100 miles, but the AMA covers all the vehicles in my household, not just the motorcycle that I'm riding.

The Platinum Roadside Assistance covers 100 miles, but only up to $250. I wonder just how far $250 will take you? Actually, now I have an idea. I just called a local towing company. It depends on the situation and how much time is involved. He said a tow yesterday from Lynnwood to Arlington, WA was $300. That's 32 miles. He gave some other examples to me too, like if you're stranded in the center of the freeway. And the Platinum Assistance specifically rules out roads that aren't maintained. Maybe that explains the support team you see in many GS photos as they are getting a GS through a river! :D Before you can be towed home, you need to get back to a paved road. :D

A lot of people think that if I belong to AAA, I get a AAA tow truck to come help me. Actually, you get the same tow truck, whether you belong to AAA, AMA or the BMW MOA roadside assistance. There's a call center someplace in the country where the operator looks up the nearest tow vehicle operator in your area and sends them out.

Another part of risk management that I learned as a project manager, is to look at the probability of the event happening. In this case, a breakdown on the side of the road. The only issue I've ever had is a flat tire, and that was in Seattle while commuting, never on a trip away from home. I carry two tire repair kits and one of those battery jump packs. That pretty much handles most roadside failures. After that, it is a call on the cell phone or inReach SE to get a tow. And for that AMA's roadside assistance will help me out.

I'll drop the Platinum Roadside Assistance at renewal and save myself $109.

Chris

Last edited:
I'll drop the roadside assistance this year. For me, it is a function of risk management.

As a member of the AMA, I automatically have roadside assistance. It's only 25 miles instead of 100 miles, but the AMA covers all the vehicles in my household, not just the motorcycle that I'm riding.

The Platinum Roadside Assistance covers 100 miles, but only up to $250. I wonder just how far $250 will take you? Actually, now I have an idea. I just called a local towing company. It depends on the situation and how much time is involved. He said a tow yesterday from Lynnwood to Arlington, WA was $300. That's 32 miles. He gave some other examples to me too, like if you're stranded in the center of the freeway. And the Platinum Assistance specifically rules out roads that aren't maintained. Maybe that explains the support team you see in many GS photos as they are getting a GS through a river! :D Before you can be towed home, you need to get back to a paved road. :D

A lot of people think that if I belong to AAA, I get a AAA tow truck to come help me. Actually, you get the same tow truck, whether you belong to AAA, AMA or the BMW MOA roadside assistance. There's a call center someplace in the country where the operator looks up the nearest tow vehicle operator in your area and sends them out.

Another part of risk management that I learned as a project manager, is to look at the probability of the event happening. In this case, a breakdown on the side of the road. The only issue I've ever had is a flat tire, and that was in Seattle while commuting, never on a trip away from home. I carry two tire repair kits and one of those battery jump packs. That pretty much handles most roadside failures. After that, it is a call on the cell phone or inReach SE to get a tow. And for that AMA's roadside assistance will help me out.

Chris

Good info.
I'm going to have to look into what coverage I already have. I think I have some basic coverage included with my insurance provider.
I'll then look into whether or not I need anything supplemental to that.
I also have AAA and I believe they have a motorcycle/RV add-on thats supposed to be pretty good.
But like they say: "the devil is in the details" so I have some research to do.
I'd really like to keep the number of insurance policies I have to a minimum.

From some of the other comments, it appears that the only real differentiator with the MOA deal is the tire replacement rider...but that looks cumbersome.

Joe

Apparently the program works well enough that the provider could substantially raise the price of the service this season. :)

Friedle

Isn't that because they included the tire replacement program where it used to be a separate add-on?

Joe

Good info.
...I also have AAA and I believe they have a motorcycle/RV add-on thats supposed to be pretty good.
But like they say: "the devil is in the details" so I have some research to do.
I'd really like to keep the number of insurance policies I have to a minimum.

From some of the other comments, it appears that the only real differentiator with the MOA deal is the tire replacement rider...but that looks cumbersome.

Joe
That was my point about bringing up the tow vehicles. The tow truck company doesn't change from one company to the other. AAA at $137 a year for the Plus RV to include a motorcycle, is a lot more expensive than the AMA's coverage at $49. The biggest difference is how far they will tow your motorcycle. Then you get into weighing the cost per year of AAA, versus the cost of a 35 mile tow or a 100 mile tow ...and how often you might use that.

As for the tires, there's always the chance I'll run over some metal that will make my tire unrepairable. But I haven't yet and I ride almost every day, and have been since 2006. If it was a high probability of occurrence, it would've happened by now.

BTW, AMA tows are for 35 miles, not the 25 miles I originally thought.

Chris

As for the tires, there's always the chance I'll run over some metal that will make my tire unrepairable. But I haven't yet and I ride almost every day, and have been since 2006. If it was a high probability of occurrence, it would've happened by now.
Chris

That actually happened to me a couple years ago out in the middle of nowhere. About a nickel size cut in the tread. Fortunately there was a dealer 25 miles away who had a front tire for replacement and they were good enough to come and get me and never charged for the tow. So I lucked out that time.
Might not be as lucky next time.

Thanks again.

Joe

Update: I'm waiting three days for someone to take my money to upgrade to the BMW MOA plan.

Joe

Platinum Tire Protection Issue

I was recently denied a claim on the Platinum Tire Protection. Had a puncture. Plugged it to get to the nearest repair (BMW North Dallas). I was in a hurry and unfortunately did not have the details of the Platinum Tire Protection plan in front of me. I had the tire replaced and filed the claim that day. The claim was DENIED because I did not call for authorization. Flat tires and life happens. The service technician clearly put on the service order that the tire was punctured and required replacement. I will not be wasting my money on this tire protection policy again.

I was recently denied a claim on the Platinum Tire Protection. Had a puncture. Plugged it to get to the nearest repair (BMW North Dallas). I was in a hurry and unfortunately did not have the details of the Platinum Tire Protection plan in front of me. I had the tire replaced and filed the claim that day. The claim was DENIED because I did not call for authorization. Flat tires and life happens. The service technician clearly put on the service order that the tire was punctured and required replacement. I will not be wasting my money on this tire protection policy again.

Welcome to the forum!

Not to make you feel worse..... Most insurance plans require notification before remedy. Most here on the forum have reported good luck with the plan.
Gary

As a member of the AMA, I automatically have roadside assistance. It's only 35 miles instead of 100 miles, but the AMA covers all the vehicles in my household, not just the motorcycle that I'm riding.

Chris
Honest question, because I always re-examine the value and sense of having multiple towing options. I do that at every renewal.

Have you used the AMA roadside assistance program for your bike or car? I have MOA, AMA and my insurance to call, should my bike/car break down in a way that I can’t fix.

Back