• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Kidney belt for sore back

Jim, I noticed there are a few threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen...probably a good place to start. I'm sure more current ideas will be forthcoming!

I wore a kidney belt - some generic thing I bought at a LBS - for longer rides on my BSA 650, a real bone-shaker, back in the 70's. I don't remember it helping my back much (I was in my 20's after all) but it reduced the amount of blood in my p!$$ after a 400-mile day.

Posture and core strength

I would suggest working on core strength and your riding position before you start using braces and support belts. Kidney belts and braces like that tend to allow your core muscles to atrophy and actually make the problem worse as you rely on the belt or brace more.

Develop or adopt an exercise routine that would strengthen your core muscles (abdominal & lower back) along with the rest of your body.

I did order a kidney belt, Fox Racing Black Belt, about $30 through Amazon. I tried it today and felt much less back strain riding today. More time in the saddle will tell but for $30 was worth the try. Yes Ibuprofen and core exercises also recommended.

partially suspension?

I used to have pain down there somewhere, and it seemed that when I hit bad bumps it aggravated it. I was running the original Showa shock on an R1100R that I bought with only 6k miles on it. Not too long ago I put a used Ohlins on it, and although it hasn't been tuned yet to my size, I don't notice the bottoming out or bad bumps, and the bike stands a little taller.

My guts feel better too. I'm working on exercising, and will work some core exercises in.

Back in Germany where I grew up, everybody used them. But more to protect kidneys from vibration than for supporting the back. They are called "Nierengurt" (kidney belt) over there.

Kidney belt for sore back, thumbs up

Thousand mile feedback!! I've put a thousand or so miles on since I started using my Fox Racing Black belt and, for me, it definitely helps reduce the soreness and lumbar lower back pain after a longer ride. A good deal for $30. It just makes riding more fun if you aren't sore when your finished. jim

Like others, I highly recommend core muscle exercises. At some point, the kidney belt will cease working too.

Chris

+1 for all the advice about exercise and the long term detrimental effects of support devices. My chronic bad back disappeared 15 years ago when I started doing pilates type exercises. Never had a back problem since, although every other part of my body is failing. Of course YMMV especially if you have trauma-related damage.

+1 to that I have had a compressed spine, bone spurs on cervical vertebrae etc and no real issues as I do my best to keep fit as I age, over 50 now amd still playing pretty hard,

Back