Thread: Kidney belt for sore back

Kidney belt for sore back

I generally have some lumbar lower back pain, and it is aggravated when I ride. Does anyone use a Kidney belt when they ride? My current ride is a 96 R1100RT but also have a K100RT. BMW sells a kidney belt, http://parts.maxbmw.com/p/Kidney-bel...idneyBelt.html

jim / oldcarman

Jim, I noticed there are a few threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen...probably a good place to start. I'm sure more current ideas will be forthcoming!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I wore a kidney belt - some generic thing I bought at a LBS - for longer rides on my BSA 650, a real bone-shaker, back in the 70's. I don't remember it helping my back much (I was in my 20's after all) but it reduced the amount of blood in my p!$$ after a 400-mile day.
    - Glenn
    2000 R1100RT (current)
    1982 R100RT (traded)
    1970 BSA A65T, 1969 Honda CB350, 1967 Honda CB160 all fondly remembered

Posture and core strength

I would suggest working on core strength and your riding position before you start using braces and support belts. Kidney belts and braces like that tend to allow your core muscles to atrophy and actually make the problem worse as you rely on the belt or brace more.

Develop or adopt an exercise routine that would strengthen your core muscles (abdominal & lower back) along with the rest of your body.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcarman View Post
    I generally have some lumbar lower back pain, and it is aggravated when I ride. Does anyone use a Kidney belt when they ride? My current ride is a 96 R1100RT but also have a K100RT. BMW sells a kidney belt, http://parts.maxbmw.com/p/Kidney-bel...idneyBelt.html

jim / oldcarman
    I also have lower back issues. I take ibuprofen and ride less then 400 miles per day.

Quote Originally Posted by 69zeff65 View Post
    Develop or adopt an exercise routine that would strengthen your core muscles (abdominal & lower back) along with the rest of your body.
    Sounds like a sound idea.
    Walter

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.
    H. L. Mencken

Kidney belt for sore back

I did order a kidney belt, Fox Racing Black Belt, about $30 through Amazon. I tried it today and felt much less back strain riding today. More time in the saddle will tell but for $30 was worth the try. Yes Ibuprofen and core exercises also recommended.

1998 R1100R SE ABS

partially suspension?

I used to have pain down there somewhere, and it seemed that when I hit bad bumps it aggravated it. I was running the original Showa shock on an R1100R that I bought with only 6k miles on it. Not too long ago I put a used Ohlins on it, and although it hasn't been tuned yet to my size, I don't notice the bottoming out or bad bumps, and the bike stands a little taller.

My guts feel better too. I'm working on exercising, and will work some core exercises in.
    Ed
    1998 R1100R 75th Anniversary Special Edition w/ ABS

Back in Germany where I grew up, everybody used them. But more to protect kidneys from vibration than for supporting the back. They are called "Nierengurt" (kidney belt) over there.
    Olaf - Austin, TX MOA #200565
    Current bikes: 2012 R1200R Classic, 1995 R1100GS, 1973 R75/5 www.R75slash5.com, 1969 CT 70 (108 cc engine)

Kidney belt for sore back, thumbs up

Thousand mile feedback!! I've put a thousand or so miles on since I started using my Fox Racing Black belt and, for me, it definitely helps reduce the soreness and lumbar lower back pain after a longer ride. A good deal for $30. It just makes riding more fun if you aren't sore when your finished. jim

Building core strength is key and it will help a lot more than just a sore back when riding.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Like others, I highly recommend core muscle exercises. At some point, the kidney belt will cease working too.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

+1 for all the advice about exercise and the long term detrimental effects of support devices. My chronic bad back disappeared 15 years ago when I started doing pilates type exercises. Never had a back problem since, although every other part of my body is failing. Of course YMMV especially if you have trauma-related damage.

+1 to that I have had a compressed spine, bone spurs on cervical vertebrae etc and no real issues as I do my best to keep fit as I age, over 50 now amd still playing pretty hard,
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk