Thread: Ignition Key Needed

Ignition Key Needed

I did get the newly purchased '76 R90S started and idling reasonably well. Now I need to determine the best means of getting a back-up ignition key as the seller only provided a single key. Recommendations will be appreciated.

Rick T

Rick -

One of the threads in the Similar Threads pane below has some info. I also a number of links in the resources link in my signature line...the key related links are in the Parts Sales and/or Service section.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

The last time I needed a key I got one off eBay. Here is a link to blanks, the flat kind. I have not seen a new folding key for awhile now. With a file I was able to cut the duplicate key myself, but a lock smith could do it easier. https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R65-R60...sid=m570.l1313

Wayne

Folding Key Blank

Motobins has them in stock!

https://www.motobins.co.uk/

Folding Key Blank Code: 94500

Your local locksmith can cut them, not Wallymart or hardware store!
    Ambassador Emeritus BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    Niagara Riders
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS

I've never had any issue sourcing them from my local dealers.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

The folding key is NLA from BMW, unless a dealer has them in stock.
    Ambassador Emeritus BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    Niagara Riders
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS

John D'oh
    Bob's reproduction folding key looks exactly like the uncut factory folding keys I have that were purchased from B&S in 1977 and they are also advertised to be a steel key. That would cover originality but a standard factory steel blank will give you the spare you really need for $5.15 plus the cost of a key shop cut with the correct cutting wheel.
    John D'oh

Quote Originally Posted by Na Cl K9 View Post
    Bob's reproduction folding key looks exactly like the uncut factory folding keys I have that were purchased from B&S in 1977 and they are also advertised to be a steel key. That would cover originality but a standard factory steel blank will give you the spare you really need for $5.15 plus the cost of a key shop cut with the correct cutting wheel.
    Many - maybe most - locksmiths will not cut steel keys because they damage their equipment. Some shops have an old machine in the back they are willing to use.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I try to buy stuff as close to home as possible.
    A local locksmith had a Taylor "B69 K" flat brass blank that worked for a /6.
    About 10 years ago folding key blanks & lock sets for /5 or /6 were n/a at a local dealer, then 5 years ago they were available. Now, n/a again.
    I was able to buy a /5 lock set, and folding /6 key blanks directly from Neiman (OEM) in Germany. I think they are now available thru eBay.
    Just this morning ordered some things that are n/a in the U.S. for a '95 K1100RS from Motobins in the U.K. (they do have the key blanks you desire, and LOTS of Airhead & Kbrick parts)
    Bill

:5 & 6 keys.jpg
    Last edited by tanker4me; 08-09-2018 at 05:32 PM.
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers

Firing blanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Cainey View Post
    Motobins has them in stock!

https://www.motobins.co.uk/

Folding Key Blank Code: 94500

Your local locksmith can cut them, not Wallymart or hardware store!
    Some years ago I purchased several Neiman flat blanks and folding keys from Motobins. Last week when I realized that I was down to only a folding key for my '78 R80/7 I took 2 flat blanks and 1 folding key to my local locksmith. The young lady agreed to cut all 3 for $2.00 apiece, no questions asked!
    Russ '76 R90/6 '78 R80/7 '78 R100RS

John D'oh

Heres a game you can play with other airhead owners...

Taylor B69K blanks are brass but no matter. Try a magnet on one. I've used the B69K for years and still have several blanks and anyone can cut those. They were even advertised on the key display boards as being for BMW motorcycles at one point. Interesting that in the photo of the two keys the 'cut' is obscured. I actually have a file of pictures of active keys as an added record against loss. I can carry the file on my phone.

Here's something I always wanted to do that I thought might be fun and illuminating... At any substantial gathering of airheads, offer prizes to the riders who's keys start the most airheads present at the rally that day. Sort of an impromptu 'make a new friend' day. Someone else can verify this but I'm reasonably certain there were only 50 - 60 different cylinder and key lock sets used - over and over - for years.
    John D'oh

I obscured the pic but was slow to correct that the B69K is brass.
    I was thinking of a steel ilco blank that will work, but it doesn’t have a number stamped on it.
    The package from Motobins is due Thursday, so it’s a 4 day delivery time to the West Coast from England.
    Last edited by tanker4me; 08-10-2018 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Package with keys, seat cover, & mirrors for a K1100 arrived today.
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Na Cl K9 View Post
    Taylor B69K blanks are brass but no matter. Try a magnet on one. I've used the B69K for years and still have several blanks and anyone can cut those. They were even advertised on the key display boards as being for BMW motorcycles at one point. Interesting that in the photo of the two keys the 'cut' is obscured. I actually have a file of pictures of active keys as an added record against loss. I can carry the file on my phone.

Here's something I always wanted to do that I thought might be fun and illuminating... At any substantial gathering of airheads, offer prizes to the riders who's keys start the most airheads present at the rally that day. Sort of an impromptu 'make a new friend' day. Someone else can verify this but I'm reasonably certain there were only 50 - 60 different cylinder and key lock sets used - over and over - for years.
    I'll bet my /5 key will start any /2 or /5 at that gathering.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by beemeruss View Post
    Some years ago I purchased several Neiman flat blanks and folding keys from Motobins. Last week when I realized that I was down to only a folding key for my '78 R80/7 I took 2 flat blanks and 1 folding key to my local locksmith. The young lady agreed to cut all 3 for $2.00 apiece, no questions asked!
    Russ '76 R90/6 '78 R80/7 '78 R100RS
    Have a 78 R80/7 myself with the stock folding key. Did you have any issues with the folding key cut matching up to the original key. I also ordered the folding and flat keys from Motobins, but 2 different locksmiths were not able to cut them correctly (both the folding and flat). There was a slight difference in depths from the stock to Motobin blanks. Did your guys have a trick to get them to match that you know of?