• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ignition Key Needed

dodge1chevy2

I did get the newly purchased '76 R90S started and idling reasonably well. Now I need to determine the best means of getting a back-up ignition key as the seller only provided a single key. Recommendations will be appreciated.

Rick T

Rick -

One of the threads in the Similar Threads pane below has some info. I also a number of links in the resources link in my signature line...the key related links are in the Parts Sales and/or Service section.

Bob's reproduction folding key looks exactly like the uncut factory folding keys I have that were purchased from B&S in 1977 and they are also advertised to be a steel key. That would cover originality but a standard factory steel blank will give you the spare you really need for $5.15 plus the cost of a key shop cut with the correct cutting wheel.

Bob's reproduction folding key looks exactly like the uncut factory folding keys I have that were purchased from B&S in 1977 and they are also advertised to be a steel key. That would cover originality but a standard factory steel blank will give you the spare you really need for $5.15 plus the cost of a key shop cut with the correct cutting wheel.

Many - maybe most - locksmiths will not cut steel keys because they damage their equipment. Some shops have an old machine in the back they are willing to use.

I try to buy stuff as close to home as possible.
A local locksmith had a Taylor "B69 K" flat brass blank that worked for a /6.
About 10 years ago folding key blanks & lock sets for /5 or /6 were n/a at a local dealer, then 5 years ago they were available. Now, n/a again.
I was able to buy a /5 lock set, and folding /6 key blanks directly from Neiman (OEM) in Germany. I think they are now available thru eBay.
Just this morning ordered some things that are n/a in the U.S. for a '95 K1100RS from Motobins in the U.K. (they do have the key blanks you desire, and LOTS of Airhead & Kbrick parts)
Bill

:5 & 6 keys.jpg

Last edited:
Firing blanks

Motobins has them in stock!

https://www.motobins.co.uk/

Folding Key Blank Code: 94500

Your local locksmith can cut them, not Wallymart or hardware store!

Some years ago I purchased several Neiman flat blanks and folding keys from Motobins. Last week when I realized that I was down to only a folding key for my '78 R80/7 I took 2 flat blanks and 1 folding key to my local locksmith. The young lady agreed to cut all 3 for $2.00 apiece, no questions asked!
Russ '76 R90/6 '78 R80/7 '78 R100RS

Heres a game you can play with other airhead owners...

Taylor B69K blanks are brass but no matter. Try a magnet on one. I've used the B69K for years and still have several blanks and anyone can cut those. They were even advertised on the key display boards as being for BMW motorcycles at one point. Interesting that in the photo of the two keys the 'cut' is obscured. I actually have a file of pictures of active keys as an added record against loss. I can carry the file on my phone.

Here's something I always wanted to do that I thought might be fun and illuminating... At any substantial gathering of airheads, offer prizes to the riders who's keys start the most airheads present at the rally that day. Sort of an impromptu 'make a new friend' day. Someone else can verify this but I'm reasonably certain there were only 50 - 60 different cylinder and key lock sets used - over and over - for years.

I obscured the pic but was slow to correct that the B69K is brass.
I was thinking of a steel ilco blank that will work, but it doesn’t have a number stamped on it.
The package from Motobins is due Thursday, so it’s a 4 day delivery time to the West Coast from England.

Last edited:
Taylor B69K blanks are brass but no matter. Try a magnet on one. I've used the B69K for years and still have several blanks and anyone can cut those. They were even advertised on the key display boards as being for BMW motorcycles at one point. Interesting that in the photo of the two keys the 'cut' is obscured. I actually have a file of pictures of active keys as an added record against loss. I can carry the file on my phone.

Here's something I always wanted to do that I thought might be fun and illuminating... At any substantial gathering of airheads, offer prizes to the riders who's keys start the most airheads present at the rally that day. Sort of an impromptu 'make a new friend' day. Someone else can verify this but I'm reasonably certain there were only 50 - 60 different cylinder and key lock sets used - over and over - for years.

I'll bet my /5 key will start any /2 or /5 at that gathering. :thumb

Friedle

Some years ago I purchased several Neiman flat blanks and folding keys from Motobins. Last week when I realized that I was down to only a folding key for my '78 R80/7 I took 2 flat blanks and 1 folding key to my local locksmith. The young lady agreed to cut all 3 for $2.00 apiece, no questions asked!
Russ '76 R90/6 '78 R80/7 '78 R100RS

Have a 78 R80/7 myself with the stock folding key. Did you have any issues with the folding key cut matching up to the original key. I also ordered the folding and flat keys from Motobins, but 2 different locksmiths were not able to cut them correctly (both the folding and flat). There was a slight difference in depths from the stock to Motobin blanks. Did your guys have a trick to get them to match that you know of?

the folding key is too loose in the all the locks and even before being cut they

the folding key is too loose in the all the locks and even before being cut they partially turn the lock.

Subject: the folding key is too loose in the all the locks and even before being cut they partially turn the lock.

The locksmith had full access to the bike and all the locks.
I had only one key – the only surviving key – it is an original and the only original key left.
The key smith measured the key depth with a machinist caliper and found the new keys were (smaller) had a shallower depth than the original.
They were loose in the lock without being cut and the new keys allowed the lock to be turned a few degrees.
The locksmith said that that meant they were already cut to the first level.
They were also loose in all the locks to the original as if they might vibrate out of the locks tumbler.
Both he and I agreed that compared to the original these new keys are miss manufactured.

Attachments

• folding key problems.jpg
    folding key problems.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 84
  • key problems.png
    key problems.png
    463.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
the folding key is too loose in the all the locks and even before being cut they partially turn the lock.

Subject: the folding key is too loose in the all the locks and even before being cut they partially turn the lock.

The locksmith had full access to the bike and all the locks.
I had only one key – the only surviving key – it is an original and the only original key left.
The key smith measured the key depth with a machinist caliper and found the new keys were (smaller) had a shallower depth than the original.
They were loose in the lock without being cut and the new keys allowed the lock to be turned a few degrees.
The locksmith said that that meant they were already cut to the first level.
They were also loose in all the locks to the original as if they might vibrate out of the locks tumbler.
Both he and I agreed that compared to the original these new keys are miss manufactured.

Where did you buy these keys? Are you sure these are motorcycle keys? For what type of bike?

Friedle

Welcome to the forum!
At the bottom of the page you will see the “similar threads” panel. There may be some help there. Friedle may be on to something as far as it being an actual bike key.........and the year and model will help.
Gary

the folding key is too loose in the all the locks

1974 R 90/6 -- 20,000 miles
The original key fits tight and does not droop or rattle.
The new "keys" fit in all the locks but the real problem is the ignition lock cylinder. They are way too loose. They hang and rattle in the lock.
If you look at the key in the photo you can see that there are two levels going from the tip to the shoulder / collar / head / bow.
That is not how my original key looks.
When the locksmith measured the bitting cuts on the original the key was already a "4" cut.
The profile of the key is fine.

Attachments

• 2019-03-17_20-38-32.jpg
    2019-03-17_20-38-32.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 2019-03-17_20-56-44.jpg
    2019-03-17_20-56-44.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 45
  • key problems.png
    key problems.png
    463.6 KB · Views: 46
  • folding key problems.jpg
    folding key problems.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 2019-03-17_21-03-51.jpg
    2019-03-17_21-03-51.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 45
Valeo owns Neiman

Valeo owns Neiman :wave

In 1984, the Group took over Ducellier, a company producing alternators, starters, headlamps and ignition systems, and established its first site in Tunisia, to produce clutches.

In 1987, Valeo completely refocused on its core activity and began disposing of non-automotive and non-strategic businesses. The Group acquired Neiman, launching its security systems activity.

In 2004, the Group opened its first R&D center in China (Wuhan) dedicated to lighting. Valeo was the first to launch Stop-Start technology on the market.

In 2005, Valeo acquired the engine electronics division of Johnson Controls, allowing the Group to strengthen its powertrain efficiency operations for cleaner, more efficient and more economical vehicles.

Back