Thread: Jiffy Tite Quick Connect : R1100GS 96

Jiffy Tite Quick Connect : R1100GS 96

A while back I installed some quick connects on my 1100GS. Stainless Steel models from Beemer Boneyard, these greatly facilitate fuel tank removal.They have worked well, but with the vulnerable exposed O-rings, I've grown paranoid. Current MOA has article on using Jiffy Tite robust connects as fool proof replacements, but am unsure as to correct series and size.

Looking for input on correct sizing for fuel line.
    2000 versus 3000 series?
    It seems the AN 6 size is closest, but if someone has some idea what really works it would be helpful.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GotFog View Post
    They have worked well, but with the vulnerable exposed O-rings, I've grown paranoid.
    Thanks.
    Why not just carry a couple of extra o rings?

Quote Originally Posted by virginiapi View Post
    Why not just carry a couple of extra o rings?
    Why should I settle for second best?

I haven't put them on a BMW, but I've used them in another application and am quite happy with them so far. I'm using them in a hot (oil vapor and crank case gasses) environment with a fair amount of vibration (direct mounted to the engine) which was combining to destroying the shut off valves in the CPC fittings. The only issue I've seen thus far with Jiffy Tite fittings is the locking balls wearing into the aluminum, but it hasn't caused a functional issue yet. RPW has the answer for your sizing questions:
    https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/...ne_Disconnects

Quote Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
    I haven't put them on a BMW, but I've used them in another application and am quite happy with them so far. I'm using them in a hot (oil vapor and crank case gasses) environment with a fair amount of vibration (direct mounted to the engine) which was combining to destroying the shut off valves in the CPC fittings. The only issue I've seen thus far with Jiffy Tite fittings is the locking balls wearing into the aluminum, but it hasn't caused a functional issue yet. RPW has the answer for your sizing questions:
    Thanks for the response and the information you shared. I did in fact place an order with them and I'm waiting for the parts; not all of them are in stock but eagerly await, to do the modification.

Vise grips instead of disconnects?

I have been using vise grips instead of "quick connects" to squeeze shut the fuel lines, mainly because I cannot seem to find a permanent solution with quick connects that works for an extended period of time (based on forum search only) without constantly replacing rings, etc.

If I need to take the tank off two or three times a year only, I don't think it's worth the risk (for me) to end up with a leaking connector, since the vise grips just work fine. Not very professional, I know, but....

Thoughts?
    Olaf - Austin, TX MOA #200565
    Current bikes: 2012 R1200R Classic, 1995 R1100GS, 1973 R75/5 www.R75slash5.com, 1969 CT 70 (108 cc engine)

Quote Originally Posted by anotherbmw View Post
    I have been using vise grips instead of "quick connects" to squeeze shut the fuel lines, mainly because I cannot seem to find a permanent solution with quick connects that works for an extended period of time (based on forum search only) without constantly replacing rings, etc.

If I need to take the tank off two or three times a year only, I don't think it's worth the risk (for me) to end up with a leaking connector, since the vise grips just work fine. Not very professional, I know, but....

Thoughts?
    I would think using vise grips on rubber fuel lines is bad mojo. Falls under the Could you/Should you discourse.

Instead of visegrips, which physically crush the line, just stick a wooden pencil in there.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Thoughts?
    These are what you should use instead of vise grips
    https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-22850-H.../dp/B0002NYB78
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Those are pretty good and Princess Auto sells them, dirt cheap. I use these: pliers.jpeg
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    Those are pretty good and Princess Auto sells them, dirt cheap. I use these: pliers.jpeg
    Both good suggestions, thanks. Just ordered the hose clamps on Amazon, easier to carry with me should I ever go on that loooong trip!
    Current bikes: 2012 R1200R Classic, 1995 R1100GS, 1973 R75/5 www.R75slash5.com, 1969 CT 70 (108 cc engine)

Jiffy Tite

Quote Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
    So, am I reading that correctly...$45.80 x 2? Ouch!
    Ride fast, take chances.

Bought these and used them yesterday, 6 bucks and worked perfectly well! Thanks again GSAddict!

Bought these and used them yesterday, 6 bucks and worked perfectly well! Thanks again GSAddict!
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.