• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Jiffy Tite Quick Connect : R1100GS 96

gotfog

A while back I installed some quick connects on my 1100GS. Stainless Steel models from Beemer Boneyard, these greatly facilitate fuel tank removal.They have worked well, but with the vulnerable exposed O-rings, I've grown paranoid. Current MOA has article on using Jiffy Tite robust connects as fool proof replacements, but am unsure as to correct series and size.

Looking for input on correct sizing for fuel line.
2000 versus 3000 series?
It seems the AN 6 size is closest, but if someone has some idea what really works it would be helpful.

Thanks.

I haven't put them on a BMW, but I've used them in another application and am quite happy with them so far. I'm using them in a hot (oil vapor and crank case gasses) environment with a fair amount of vibration (direct mounted to the engine) which was combining to destroying the shut off valves in the CPC fittings. The only issue I've seen thus far with Jiffy Tite fittings is the locking balls wearing into the aluminum, but it hasn't caused a functional issue yet. RPW has the answer for your sizing questions:
https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/Motorcycle_Jiffy_Tite_Fuel_Line_Disconnects

I haven't put them on a BMW, but I've used them in another application and am quite happy with them so far. I'm using them in a hot (oil vapor and crank case gasses) environment with a fair amount of vibration (direct mounted to the engine) which was combining to destroying the shut off valves in the CPC fittings. The only issue I've seen thus far with Jiffy Tite fittings is the locking balls wearing into the aluminum, but it hasn't caused a functional issue yet. RPW has the answer for your sizing questions:
https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/Motorcycle_Jiffy_Tite_Fuel_Line_Disconnects
Thanks for the response and the information you shared. I did in fact place an order with them and I'm waiting for the parts; not all of them are in stock but eagerly await, to do the modification.

Vise grips instead of disconnects?

I have been using vise grips instead of "quick connects" to squeeze shut the fuel lines, mainly because I cannot seem to find a permanent solution with quick connects that works for an extended period of time (based on forum search only) without constantly replacing rings, etc.

If I need to take the tank off two or three times a year only, I don't think it's worth the risk (for me) to end up with a leaking connector, since the vise grips just work fine. Not very professional, I know, but....

Thoughts?

I have been using vise grips instead of "quick connects" to squeeze shut the fuel lines, mainly because I cannot seem to find a permanent solution with quick connects that works for an extended period of time (based on forum search only) without constantly replacing rings, etc.

If I need to take the tank off two or three times a year only, I don't think it's worth the risk (for me) to end up with a leaking connector, since the vise grips just work fine. Not very professional, I know, but....

Thoughts?
I would think using vise grips on rubber fuel lines is bad mojo. Falls under the Could you/Should you discourse.

Thoughts?

These are what you should use instead of vise grips
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-22850-Hose-Pincher/dp/B0002NYB78

Attachments

• 31ku8xwGFtL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
    31ku8xwGFtL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 102
Jiffy Tite

So, am I reading that correctly...$45.80 x 2? Ouch!

Back