• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire loses pressure

ksb245

The rear tire on my 2016 R1200RT-LC loses pressure very slowly; it goes from 44psi to ~35 psi overnight and then stays at that pressure :scratch
It developed a leak during my last trip and I had the leak plugged; can the plug re-seal itself when the pressure reduces to ~35 psi? The TPM tracks the pressure perfectly when riding and stops decreasing at ~ 35 psi. I use a valve stem cap at all times. The tire is a Michlean Road 5 with about 6K miles. A new tire is on-order, but I wanted to see if anyone has experienced a problem like this.

Just a hunch, but has the TPMS ever been hit during a tire change? It's a pretty large unit and someone not used to their size who isn't careful when removing an old tire... DAMHIK

Put a little soap around the base of the valve stem and see if you get any slow bubbles.

Pete

I have had more slow leaks on tires than I care to remember. Mostly cars, summer and winter tires. In my experience slow leaks don't stop. They may slow down a bit as the pressure drops but eventually the tire goes flat. Have you confirmed the TPS sensor is accurate with a good tire guage? It's hard to imagine the leak stops at 35psi.

I would soap the whole tire down including around the valve stem and under the VS cap- as the valve could be loose. I use an empty and cleaned out Aunt Jemima maple syrup bottle with water and dish wash soap. The flexible bottle makes it easy.
Good luck.
OM

But there is probably more than "one" leak.... a tiny sliver, a loose valve core, even a plug that did Not fully seal...

Or he can just keep riding it and adding more air until the slow leak becomes a big fast leak...while riding. Your choice...keep riding on that tire and play the odds OR fix/change the tire. Remember you need BOTH of them to effectively keep your ass off the ground. :dunno

Friedle

In my experience the most common culprit of a slow leak is road grime. Whenever I change tires I first wash the bike, and make sure that I wipe down the rims/tires with a clean rag. Then I remove the wheel and change the tire. After you get the tire removed from the rim, clean off the rim bead of dirt or tire particles with a scotch brite or brush. Then mount the tire. If you use a tire mounting lube brush/rag, make sure that it is clean. After I get done, I wash the tire again to remove tire lube and release off the tire. I have found that if you follow this procedure, you are far more likely to avoid a slow leak. Furthermore, you will be a lot cleaner yourself. I spend more time cleaning the wheel then I do changing the tire.

If there is damage to the rim bead, you can always use bead sealer. I try to avoid using bead sealer because it is nasty to work with and clean up.

I also use the BMW metal valve caps. They have a nice rubber seal to prevent leaking valve stems.

Found another nail in the tire :banghead
Replaced the tire with new $$$
Cheaper than a blow out!

THANKS for all the feed back :)

Found another nail in the tire :banghead
Replaced the tire with new $$$
Cheaper than a blow out!

THANKS for all the feed back :)

You've gotten your priorities correct. Tire is MUCH cheaper than a visit to the ER. Sounds as if that was an unlucky tire anyway. :dunno

Friedle

Back