• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mystery tube

garydolgoff

Howdy,
I have an 06 RT. Recently I noticed a tube hanging lose just below the tank glove box. After checking, I could find no trace of where it may have been attached.
There were no indicater lights blinking.
I thought that it could be an auxiliary tube for an antenna, but can't be certain.
Would anyone know what this tube is, and where it belongs?
G.

Howdy,
I have an 06 RT. Recently I noticed a tube hanging lose just below the tank glove box. After checking, I could find no trace of where it may have been attached.
There were no indicater lights blinking.
I thought that it could be an auxiliary tube for an antenna, but can't be certain.
Would anyone know what this tube is, and where it belongs?
G.

The word “tube” is confusing to me. Is it a rubber hose? Can you post a picture? My first thought is it is a rubber hose that has come lose from the charcoal canister.

The word “tube” is confusing to me. Is it a rubber hose? Can you post a picture? My first thought is it is a rubber hose that has come lose from the charcoal canister.

Hi, and thanks for answering.
I don't have a photo of the tube, but that's the best description of the item. It's about a quarter of an inch thick with a very narrow opening (a female end)
I wasn't aware of a charcoal canister on the bike.

There is a charcoal canister on the right front, near the cruise control motor.

There is a rubber tank breather hose from near the fuel filler to the canister. Actually I'm remembering it as two pieces, with a simple plastic tube to connect them in the glove box area. It separates when removing the tank for a brake flush.

Ah, my memory still works (a little)! Look for the other part of the hose (2) with the connector (3).
Capture.jpg

The charcoal canister is part of the emissions control system. It catches fuel fumes and overflow, hence the hoses, or tubes, coming from the fuel tank that lkraus described. Find the charcoal canister and see if you can see a connection point for the errant hose, or if the hose is connected to the canister and has come lose from the fuel tank end. I cannot recall how much of the canister you can see without removing some fairing bits.

There is a charcoal canister on the right front, near the cruise control motor.

There is a rubber tank breather hose from near the fuel filler to the canister. Actually I'm remembering it as two pieces, with a simple plastic tube to connect them in the glove box area. It separates when removing the tank for a brake flush.

Ah, my memory still works (a little)! Look for the other part of the hose (2) with the connector (3).
View attachment 69556

Got it!!!!!
Thank you all!
Next question could be on stock market tips......or not
Thanks again

FWIW the charcoal canister and associated hoses are part of the US-mandated emissions system. US bikes have that plumbing, and the rest of the world does not. RT owners have been known to perform a "canisterectomy" which eliminates the canister and re-routs some of the fuel lines. One of those dumps raw gas into the RH cylinder when some piece of the system overflows in the original configuration.

Problems with the system usually result from over-filling the fuel tank. The overflow frequently gets routed to the canister and drivability issues sometimes result.

Back