Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Mystery tube

  1. #1

    Mystery tube

    Howdy,
    I have an 06 RT. Recently I noticed a tube hanging lose just below the tank glove box. After checking, I could find no trace of where it may have been attached.
    There were no indicater lights blinking.
    I thought that it could be an auxiliary tube for an antenna, but can't be certain.
    Would anyone know what this tube is, and where it belongs?
    G.

  2. #2
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Silver City, Montana
    Posts
    6,819
    Quote Originally Posted by garydolgoff View Post
    Howdy,
    I have an 06 RT. Recently I noticed a tube hanging lose just below the tank glove box. After checking, I could find no trace of where it may have been attached.
    There were no indicater lights blinking.
    I thought that it could be an auxiliary tube for an antenna, but can't be certain.
    Would anyone know what this tube is, and where it belongs?
    G.
    The word “tube” is confusing to me. Is it a rubber hose? Can you post a picture? My first thought is it is a rubber hose that has come lose from the charcoal canister.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    The word “tube” is confusing to me. Is it a rubber hose? Can you post a picture? My first thought is it is a rubber hose that has come lose from the charcoal canister.
    Hi, and thanks for answering.
    I don't have a photo of the tube, but that's the best description of the item. It's about a quarter of an inch thick with a very narrow opening (a female end)
    I wasn't aware of a charcoal canister on the bike.

  4. #4
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,424
    There is a charcoal canister on the right front, near the cruise control motor.

    There is a rubber tank breather hose from near the fuel filler to the canister. Actually I'm remembering it as two pieces, with a simple plastic tube to connect them in the glove box area. It separates when removing the tank for a brake flush.

    Ah, my memory still works (a little)! Look for the other part of the hose (2) with the connector (3).
    Capture.jpg
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  5. #5
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Silver City, Montana
    Posts
    6,819
    The charcoal canister is part of the emissions control system. It catches fuel fumes and overflow, hence the hoses, or tubes, coming from the fuel tank that lkraus described. Find the charcoal canister and see if you can see a connection point for the errant hose, or if the hose is connected to the canister and has come lose from the fuel tank end. I cannot recall how much of the canister you can see without removing some fairing bits.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    There is a charcoal canister on the right front, near the cruise control motor.

    There is a rubber tank breather hose from near the fuel filler to the canister. Actually I'm remembering it as two pieces, with a simple plastic tube to connect them in the glove box area. It separates when removing the tank for a brake flush.

    Ah, my memory still works (a little)! Look for the other part of the hose (2) with the connector (3).
    Capture.jpg
    Got it!!!!!
    Thank you all!
    Next question could be on stock market tips......or not
    Thanks again

  7. #7
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Silver City, Montana
    Posts
    6,819
    Quote Originally Posted by garydolgoff View Post
    Got it!!!!!
    Thank you all!
    Next question could be on stock market tips......or not
    Thanks again
    Buy low.... sell high.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  8. #8
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    1,396
    FWIW the charcoal canister and associated hoses are part of the US-mandated emissions system. US bikes have that plumbing, and the rest of the world does not. RT owners have been known to perform a "canisterectomy" which eliminates the canister and re-routs some of the fuel lines. One of those dumps raw gas into the RH cylinder when some piece of the system overflows in the original configuration.

    Problems with the system usually result from over-filling the fuel tank. The overflow frequently gets routed to the canister and drivability issues sometimes result.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Similar Threads

  1. Inner tube installation
    By joe garski in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-28-2018, 09:43 PM
  2. Down tube painting
    By Motodan in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2018, 08:52 PM
  3. Mystery Drain Tube. . .
    By Walking Eagle in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 12:35 PM
  4. Tube Sealant In A Can
    By AnnapolisAirhead in forum Airheads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 09:57 PM
  5. Oil Vent Tube
    By Slablog in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 08:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •