Thread: 1996 K1100LT radio code

1996 K1100LT radio code

I acquired a used '96 K1100LT. It's very "new" with few miles on the clock. It's a lovely machine, and runs perfectly. However, there was no documentation furnished with the bike, so I don't have the radio code. I've searched on-line for help, but all the many sites address car radios only. The customer service person for BMW north America referred me to the local dealer. The local dealer has not helped me.
    Can anyone suggest another way to recover the radio code?
    TIA
    Last edited by walt3022; 07-30-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walt3022 View Post
    I acquired a used '96 K1100LT. It's very "new" with few miles on the clock. It's a lovely machine, and runs like perfectly. However, there was no documentation furnished with the bike, so I don't have the radio code. I've searched on-line for help, but all the many sites address car radios only. The customer service person for BMW north America referred me to the local dealer. The local dealer has not helped me.
    Can anyone suggest another way to recover the radio code?
    TIA
    It will take correspondence with Germany to obtain the code. What exactly did you ask Big Twin to do?
    Last edited by PGlaves; 07-31-2018 at 06:15 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    It will take correspondence with Germany to obtain the code. What exactly did you ask Big Twin to do?
    Curious about this as well. Fred Wiley at Big Twin is as solid a go-to guy as I’ve ever met.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I asked the local BMW dealer for the radio code.

Quote Originally Posted by walt3022 View Post
    I asked the local BMW dealer for the radio code.
    They would not have it. They have to verify that the bike belongs to you and send documentation including the VIN to BMW in Germany to obtain the code. When I had it done it took about 6 weeks.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

radio code

I need to clarify my post.
    I asked for suggestions and ideas. That should not be construed to be a criticism of anyone or any business. I explained in broad terms what I'd done in terms of my own due diligence before I turned to the wider community for suggestions. To be clear, I am completely happy with the various go-to folks that support me and my BMWs. I understand, however, that we are in the middle of the riding season. Folks most certainly have other fish to fry instead of chasing codes for old motorcycles. I get that. That being said, I'd like to do what I can to solve - if possible - this minor mystery before the season ends. Some have told me that codes are available on line or through other means. I've tried what I could, but come up short. Thus, I asked for ideas.
    'nuf said.