• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2012 F800GS intermittent stalling

willboo

Last summer I had my bike serviced by a dealership including a new battery. I rode from the front range of Colorado to central Utah a couple of days later. All was well. Turned around to come home and took a path less traveled which included higher elevation and cooler temps. (as did crossing the continental divide in CO, which was done at highway speed) The first switchback I slowed down (let off all throttle) for on a gravel Forest Service road the bike stalled, it restarted fine. This continued until I dropped down and picked a state highway. At highway speed the bike ran fine, it stalled again at stop signs and as I rolled into a rest area. As the day warmed up the problem ceased, at about 83 degrees. (TMI maybe but just giving some background.) I thought this to be a sensor issue related to the temperature. The level of gas in the tank has no apparent effect on this issue. I got back home okay with the stalling reoccurring later in the day when the temps dropped. A few local rides since have dispelled the temperature theory. And, I have confirmed the tank level is a non-issue.
So, after reading some (a lot of) blogs and posts and talking to guys that I know that know motorcycles I decided a fuel pump replacement would be the cheapest fix-it-by-replacing parts remedy. Today's ride confirmed the problem still exists so I'll keep the OEM pump on my spare parts shelf. My thought was the next logical step would be the fuel control module or surrender and take it back to a dealership. This is what I know: it's not the temperature, the fuel level, the pump, starting the bike after turning on the key without letting the brainbox cycle through, shifting down multiple gears with the clutch pulled in when coming to a stop and since sometimes it sputters before it dies it would not be the kickstand safety switch. (I don't know if all of those would affect my bike but I've read a lot about stalling)
Any ideas??? This problem started at 15K+ miles. I'm the original owner (without enough time to ride), the bike has always been garaged, plugged into a battery tender and when I know it will sit through the coldest months of winter I use a fuel stabilizer. Operating temperature, fuel consumption and overall power and performance are totally normal, otherwise.

I have a 2009 F650GS Twin (i.e. same 800cc engine, tuned differently, runnable on regular gas). At one point, I had this problem a few times - for example,
  1. dropping to idle after a downshift sequence to stop at a light or stop sign,
  2. pulled in clutch and allowed engine to go to idle without having completed a downshift sequence yet.
Both cases, idled "too low", so died - but started right up again. This was "fixed" by the dealer resetting the "learned" control points for the bike to "default", and then riding it for a bit until it re-learned this bike's particularities. Has not happened again in subsequent 25,000mi. Bike now at 76,000mi.

I have a 2009 F650GS Twin (i.e. same 800cc engine, tuned differently, runnable on regular gas). At one point, I had this problem a few times - for example,
  1. dropping to idle after a downshift sequence to stop at a light or stop sign,
  2. pulled in clutch and allowed engine to go to idle without having completed a downshift sequence yet.
Both cases, idled "too low", so died - but started right up again. This was "fixed" by the dealer resetting the "learned" control points for the bike to "default", and then riding it for a bit until it re-learned this bike's particularities. Has not happened again in subsequent 25,000mi. Bike now at 76,000mi.

Thanks Jim,
I have read that resetting the control module is a remedy for other issues too. Since my last post I did find that I had over-oiled the K&N air filter. I cleaned the air box and intake air temperature sensor. I have found a local gas station that sells ethanol free gas and have run a couple tanks through, the first with the prescribed dose of Techron in it. On my latest ride I duplicated conditions similar to those in which I experienced the stalling or sputtering and had no issues with it at all. If I do experience any more issues it'll be time to go to the pros. A little bit of a shotgun approach to troubleshooting but hey, if it works...

...The first switchback I slowed down (let off all throttle) for on a gravel Forest Service road the bike stalled, it restarted fine. This continued until I dropped down and picked a state highway. At highway speed the bike ran fine, it stalled again at stop signs and as I rolled into a rest area.

You are describing exactly what I experienced with a customer's F800GS. A new fuel pump fixed it.

Back