• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ECU and related part numbers and designations?

dobervol

ECU and related part numbers and designations, 2006 K1200S?

Posting this as a separate question, as this stuff would be the same regardless.

Possible defective ECU, 2006 K1200S, but lots of people with other types of wedge-Ks might be able to help.

First, I’m going to check wires to and from, missing prongs, dust in connections, etc.

BUT IF mine needs replacement, I’ve been told by multiple peeps on the innerwebs that step one is to know if you have a bms-kp, or a bms-k. Well, I have a bms-k, but some dealers’ fiche only lists the bms-kp, and those where I do find the bms-k on offer, the description underneath says, “For vehicles withPower reduction = No (X703A = No)“. What does that mean?

My GS-911 says my part number is: 07712714 , but I find no evidence of such a number on any BMW microfiche, or the parts mfg Bosch or Motronic. Would what they call a part number in fact be a serial number of the part only, apart from the VIN # of the bike itself?

Can anyone shed any light for me on this letters and numbers game?

Also, if I get a used replacement, what do I need to do to be sure I have a compatible unit, if anything?

And last, I know that since a used unit will be connected with a different serial number bike, I need to keep my evidence of purchase, BUT IF I need to replace my ECU, will I have to re-key my bike?

Last edited:
Nothing I can find wrong in wiring, prongs or connectors. Unit itself is a BMSK 7 702 076, per the sticker, and I've learned that as of the year 2006 forward, you DO have to have everything re-keyed to your ECU when you change it, thus all the places charging $300-$350 to re-key your bike to your new-to-you $100-$250 ECU you found on ebay.

I really like to do my own work on my bikes, but I'm leaning toward heading to the dealer in shame on this one.

I'll give more detail in the other thread, and I still think this could be a helpful question to answer for many folks, but my issue does not appear to be the ECU, but instead the infamous 2d gear trans dog issue.

Back