• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

K1600 GT with Aux Lights - Install another set branching off existing wiring?

desmoderek

MotoDruid
Here's one for all you electrically minded folks out there.
My K1600GT has the factory fog lights installed. I am trying to figure out if I can branch off the existing lights wiring and install two more Denali DR1 lights (using the mirror mounts) and just run the necessary wires to them and have them function using the fog light switch on the handlebar. The total draw for both lights would be 1.5 Amps (0.75 Amps each).
I do not know if the fog lights share a circuit with the GPS, or BMW socket, for instance, or if they are on a dedicated fuse.
Anyone any the wiser?

I don't think the CANbus system will like that.
You might be better off with a PDM-60 or you can run the old fashioned relay/switch circuit direct to the battery.

Good luck.

Joe

more lights

I don't think the CANbus system will like that.
You might be better off with a PDM-60 or you can run the old fashioned relay/switch circuit direct to the battery.

Good luck.

Joe

Do you think with a PDM you could still tap into the fog light switch to switch all the auxillary lights?

Do you think with a PDM you could still tap into the fog light switch to switch all the auxillary lights?

What you suggest would require cutting the harness...something I'm not a fan of.
But in answer to your question: theoretically yes. The PDM would have to go in series with the switch. The switch would trigger the PDM which would turn on the lights.
But again, I think the CANbus circuit might trigger a fault code.

Joe

To add context.

I already have a Denali Sound Bomb installed, replacing the OE horn utilising a relay and wired from the battery. I was hoping to install extra lights without needing to add extra hardware, which I do not think is possible given the CANBus. I'm not very familiar with how they work, but I have read elsewher that the controller will sense the extra current draw and send an error message, probably shutting off the circuit which obviously defeats the purpose of the exercise.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it right and order a Denali CAN-Smart that has all the necessary wiring and connections out of the box, and damn the extra cost.

To add context.

I already have a Denali Sound Bomb installed, replacing the OE horn utilising a relay and wired from the battery. I was hoping to install extra lights without needing to add extra hardware, which I do not think is possible given the CANBus. I'm not very familiar with how they work, but I have read elsewher that the controller will sense the extra current draw and send an error message, probably shutting off the circuit which obviously defeats the purpose of the exercise.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it right and order a Denali CAN-Smart that has all the necessary wiring and connections out of the box, and damn the extra cost.

You should look into the PDM-60.
The PDM is independent of the CAN Bus circuits.
I use it to control 5 add-on's.
Programmable and mounts under the seat.
Neat and compact. Cleans up any extra wiring.

Good luck.

Joe

You should look into the PDM-60.
The PDM is independent of the CAN Bus circuits.
I use it to control 5 add-on's.
Programmable and mounts under the seat.
Neat and compact. Cleans up any extra wiring.

Good luck.

Joe

Ordinarily I'd agree. I've used the Fuzeblock on Triumphs before and like the way it keeps it all neat.
My goal this time is to integrate the control of the lights through the Wunderwheel and BMW switches. (You can change the brightness of the aux lights via Wunderwheel, or toggle them on/off using the turn signal cancel button).

Thanks!

Ordinarily I'd agree. I've used the Fuzeblock on Triumphs before and like the way it keeps it all neat.
My goal this time is to integrate the control of the lights through the Wunderwheel and BMW switches. (You can change the brightness of the aux lights via Wunderwheel, or toggle them on/off using the turn signal cancel button).

Thanks!

Instead of going with the PDM60, i would recommend going with the HexEZcan product which integrate into the BMW CanBus and allows the use of the wonderwheel for operation while still using power directly from the battery, this is one hell of a powerful tiny box that solves a big problem.

https://www.hexezcan.com/

Good Luck!

The EZCan is the right answer. Tapping into your aux lights wont work, it'll trip the circuit and shut them both down. using the Hex EZCan, you'll control the lights using your wonder wheel and set the intensity for day and night use with the computer. I have my lights at 10% during the day and night and they go to 100% when I hit the high beam and flash when I use the horn. You can also set them up to turn off when the turn signal is depressed so oncoming traffic can see the turn signals. Well worth the price of admission.

bZMsotV.jpg

Back