Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: K1600 GT with Aux Lights - Install another set branching off existing wiring?

  1. #1
    DesmoDerek desmoderek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    377

    K1600 GT with Aux Lights - Install another set branching off existing wiring?

    Here's one for all you electrically minded folks out there.
    My K1600GT has the factory fog lights installed. I am trying to figure out if I can branch off the existing lights wiring and install two more Denali DR1 lights (using the mirror mounts) and just run the necessary wires to them and have them function using the fog light switch on the handlebar. The total draw for both lights would be 1.5 Amps (0.75 Amps each).
    I do not know if the fog lights share a circuit with the GPS, or BMW socket, for instance, or if they are on a dedicated fuse.
    Anyone any the wiser?
    Andrew
    MOA # 210167
    Dark Grey K1600GT Silk White Multistrada 950 Bonbler Black i.e. Bonneville Black Scrambler (carb)

  2. #2
    IBA# 5819 61996's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    3,768
    I don't think the CANbus system will like that.
    You might be better off with a PDM-60 or you can run the old fashioned relay/switch circuit direct to the battery.

    Good luck.

    Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

  3. #3

    more lights

    Quote Originally Posted by 61996 View Post
    I don't think the CANbus system will like that.
    You might be better off with a PDM-60 or you can run the old fashioned relay/switch circuit direct to the battery.

    Good luck.

    Joe
    Do you think with a PDM you could still tap into the fog light switch to switch all the auxillary lights?

  4. #4
    IBA# 5819 61996's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    3,768
    Quote Originally Posted by FELAW View Post
    Do you think with a PDM you could still tap into the fog light switch to switch all the auxillary lights?
    What you suggest would require cutting the harness...something I'm not a fan of.
    But in answer to your question: theoretically yes. The PDM would have to go in series with the switch. The switch would trigger the PDM which would turn on the lights.
    But again, I think the CANbus circuit might trigger a fault code.

    Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

  5. #5
    DesmoDerek desmoderek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    377
    To add context.

    I already have a Denali Sound Bomb installed, replacing the OE horn utilising a relay and wired from the battery. I was hoping to install extra lights without needing to add extra hardware, which I do not think is possible given the CANBus. I'm not very familiar with how they work, but I have read elsewher that the controller will sense the extra current draw and send an error message, probably shutting off the circuit which obviously defeats the purpose of the exercise.
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it right and order a Denali CAN-Smart that has all the necessary wiring and connections out of the box, and damn the extra cost.
    Andrew
    MOA # 210167
    Dark Grey K1600GT Silk White Multistrada 950 Bonbler Black i.e. Bonneville Black Scrambler (carb)

  6. #6
    IBA# 5819 61996's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    3,768
    Quote Originally Posted by desmoderek View Post
    To add context.

    I already have a Denali Sound Bomb installed, replacing the OE horn utilising a relay and wired from the battery. I was hoping to install extra lights without needing to add extra hardware, which I do not think is possible given the CANBus. I'm not very familiar with how they work, but I have read elsewher that the controller will sense the extra current draw and send an error message, probably shutting off the circuit which obviously defeats the purpose of the exercise.
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it right and order a Denali CAN-Smart that has all the necessary wiring and connections out of the box, and damn the extra cost.
    You should look into the PDM-60.
    The PDM is independent of the CAN Bus circuits.
    I use it to control 5 add-on's.
    Programmable and mounts under the seat.
    Neat and compact. Cleans up any extra wiring.

    Good luck.

    Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

  7. #7
    DesmoDerek desmoderek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by 61996 View Post
    You should look into the PDM-60.
    The PDM is independent of the CAN Bus circuits.
    I use it to control 5 add-on's.
    Programmable and mounts under the seat.
    Neat and compact. Cleans up any extra wiring.

    Good luck.

    Joe
    Ordinarily I'd agree. I've used the Fuzeblock on Triumphs before and like the way it keeps it all neat.
    My goal this time is to integrate the control of the lights through the Wunderwheel and BMW switches. (You can change the brightness of the aux lights via Wunderwheel, or toggle them on/off using the turn signal cancel button).

    Thanks!
    Andrew
    MOA # 210167
    Dark Grey K1600GT Silk White Multistrada 950 Bonbler Black i.e. Bonneville Black Scrambler (carb)

Similar Threads

  1. How to install driving lights
    By Wethead in forum Wetheads
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-02-2016, 07:20 PM
  2. Wiring LED Lights
    By brittrunyon in forum Airheads
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 10:32 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-01-2013, 08:26 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 09:57 PM
  5. Install Hella FF50 lights on my R1100RT
    By mfifer in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-27-2008, 11:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •