• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Prostate Cancer

patiodadio

Motorcyclist
I'm 62 and just found out I have Prostate Cancer. I am sure I will be ok, but what about Motorcycles ? I have been riding since I was about 6 years old. Anyone else been thru this and still able to ride ? I know I won't be riding for awhile anyway but what about long term ?

I don't think you'll have a permanent problem. I personally had radiation treatment for my prostate cancer and it has not stopped me from riding. It may have for a few weeks during the treatment but I really don't remember any big problem. One of my fellow workers had his prostate removed. He started riding after he was about 55. I can't remember if he rode before his surgery. I do know that he rides now.

I had my prostate removed in 2009. Have been riding ever since. Had to watch what I did for 30 days. It is going to depend on the proscedure you have and how the side effects you can have. I did the robotic method. Just 3 small cuts, over night hospital stay. Did your Doctor ask you to talk to others who have been there. Send me a PM if you out likt to talk.

You should be okay to ride within a reasonable time. I also have had a robotic prostate removal procedure and was riding (locally and to adjacent provinces) that same year. I waited until the following year do do a cross country run due to concerns from my SWMBO. I have no experience with the non-surgical approach but do follow doctors recovery protocols, eat healthy and stay/get active since a strong mind AND body do wonders to your enjoyment of riding. Take care.

I had my Prostate removed, Dec. 8th, 2011. April of 2012 started radiation. Rode every day I went for treatment, Unless the weather was bad.
The radiation treatment was for about 10 weeks.

Good luck on treatment.

One advantage of being a member of a forum with members as.... ahhhh, er, ah sophisticated as ours is that there is (sadly) someone, more likely several someones, who has had every malady known to humankind and is willing to share their experiences.

Last edited:
One advantage of being a memner of a forum with members as.... ahhhh, er, ah sophisticated as ours is that there is (sadly) someone, more likely several someones, who has had every malady known to humankind and is willing to share their experiences.

What are you trying to say Kevin, that the AARP laughs at us ???? :violin

I don't think you'll have a permanent problem. I personally had radiation treatment for my prostate cancer and it has not stopped me from riding. It may have for a few weeks during the treatment but I really don't remember any big problem. One of my fellow workers had his prostate removed. He started riding after he was about 55. I can't remember if he rode before his surgery. I do know that he rides now.

I also had mine remover. Rode to the treatment office every day after the staples were removed. had 3 months of treatment. You should have NO problem.

If you want to talk call me, 610n349n4168 (cell #)

George (aka: MTHelmet)

Back