• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tires and average tire life for XR

Battleaxes were on the XR when I bought it, but I wanted a tire that was at least a little capable of doing dirt roads. So I settled on Pirelli Scorpion Trail II and had them mounted at about 8500 miles while in the middle of a lengthy tour in the Midwest.

My buddy put Michelin Road 5’s on his. We were comparing then just last week and both look equally aggressive enough for dirt. We both like our tires. I think both are equally competent.

Michelin Pilot Road 3’s netted me about 18,000 miles on my old R1150RT. I will forever gauge my tires against those.

I have used many different tire brands on my XR. Pirelli/Bridgestone/Metzler/Dunlop/Conti...all spirited/aggressive mountain road riding, no track days! I usually average between 2500 - 3K miles on a set, best mileage was 3700 miles on Conti Sport Attack 3. I recently purchased set of Bridgestone Battlax T31 but have not installed yet, hoping to get more mileage than the SA3 and still have great handling/grip...will update when I can offer feedback!

Just heard that Michelin Road 5 Trail has hit the market. So what is the difference between the Trail and plain road 5?
Cant seem to find a real answer.

At the rally the Michelin rep said there was no difference. However Michelin indicates the compound is different. I would hope the sidewall is a little thicker for off the road. But I do not know.

Rod

That sounds silly. If no difference why two models?

Because the sales rep is wrong. There is a difference in compound (though the carcass is no thicker). It makes no attempt to be a trail tire. I have worn both the trail and non-trail rear versions on my R12GS and the non-trail lasts longer. On the front there is no choice but the trail (in the GS size).

You guys with the hot shoe XR's are in charge of your tire life with your right wrists. Of course, that's why you bought them, so carry on.

At a 2016 rally seminar the Michelin rep said the PR4 Trail was basically the same as the PR4 and PR4GT, but was available to fit popular sizes of adventure bike wheels. I don't recall any emphasis on the rear wheel compound differences. He also could/would not explain exactlywhy the GT was better for "heavier" bikes than the standard PR4, just restating that it was recommended for certain bikes.

PR4 compounds:
Standard-and-GT-versions.jpg

I'd expect the Road 5 and Road 5 Trail to fit similar marketing niches.

At a 2016 rally seminar the Michelin rep said the PR4 Trail was basically the same as the PR4 and PR4GT, but was available to fit popular sizes of adventure bike wheels. I don't recall any emphasis on the rear wheel compound differences. He also could/would not explain exactlywhy the GT was better for "heavier" bikes than the standard PR4, just restating that it was recommended for certain bikes.

He may have said that, but clearly from your chart the Trail has different compounds than the other two. It is softer all around and has NO hard compound in the center which aligns with my experience that it does not last as long. How about this one, they tout the GT as being better for "heavier" bikes, but it has the same load rating as the non-GT tire.

Getting The PR5

Decided to get the Michelin PR5. Really need more than 3000 out of the Pirelli Rosso Corsa.Hope they work out better, others claim to do well with them.

Back