• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

where I've been

ladderrack

New to posting but here goes:
Amtrak has Auto train from Lorton Va. to Florida which I loaded my bike on to get to the start. Riding F700GS.
Traveled down thru East Florida and across the Key to Key West and back. (3 months after the last hurricane-a sad mess) but the riding was no less incredible.
Came up around the Gulf Coast and out to Pensacola Where I visited an old army buddy. Had not been by Eglin since Ranger school.(1981)
Traveled Interstate back to Virginia. 6 days on the road. Fell for BMW with the 700 and now ride R1200GS and asking for help planning a long adventure across Canada from east coast returning thru Northern States. 8-22-18 back to Va. NLT 10-15-18
Have ordered road atlas of Canada and a book called "Touring Bible", Adding clearwater auxillary lighting-in process, Installing new Tires, Avon Trail Riders AV54 70/30 radials, comments welcome?, Really appreciate shared experience as this is new territory.

Very cool :thumb
Welcome to the forum!
We don't hear much (any?) of Members shipping their bikes by train.......sounds like a good idea. I'l bet the Members would be interested in hearing more in the logistics, costs and comfort involved with shipping via train.
Thanks for your service.
Gary

amtrak auto train

Amtrak auto train is used to get your car/bike from the dc area to northern florida. Cost starts around $300.00 one way for you and your vehicle. Includes dinner and takes about 18 hours. Not bad. Next time I will upgrade to a sleeper which may double the cost. Show up in lorton at the loading dock about 2 hrs. early - nice - comfortable facility and load your vehicle / pretty simple. Nice facility in Florida - 1 to 2 hour wait for offload- pretty simple and off you go. I not someone who finds ventures like this ie. coordination to be particularly easy but this was. I recommend Auto train and a ride around Florida to include out and back to Key West. Happy Trails
Thanks for the welcome. P.S. was riding F700GS- great bike!

Back