• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Aligning rubber gearbox mounts 1998 BMW K1200RS

goneregret

I'm putting in a used gearbox and it doesn't have those big rubber mounts at the top so I have to use the ones from the old gearbox. My manual makes a big deal out of aligning those things correctly. How important is it to get it perfect?

Left-hand Rubber Mount:
The repair manual says to make a template shaped like an L. I don't understand the numbers on the template. Are the 17, 93 and 50 centimeters? What does the "ca 40" mean? And the "+0,1" ? What does the "t>10mm" mean? Can I make this out of wood? How exact does it have to be? Can I just hold something flush on the back of the mount and push the rubber mount in until it hits that?

Right-hand Rubber Mount:
This part is very confusing in my manual.
1) Do I install the gearbox first THEN torque the two pinch bolts for the right rubber mount?
2) Is the "Right-hand bearing bushing" the same thing as the "Right hand rubber mount" or is that a different part?
3) The manual says to "Screw the lift/right engine mountings to the cross-member." What does that mean?
4) Is it true these tightening torques are only 9 Nm?

Thanks for your help!

Also, what does "Lifting the frame" mean? I read that part of the manual and I can't figure out what it's supposed to accomplish. Does it mean raising the SUB frame? Does it mean I pivot the subframe up to give myself room to work on the gearbox?

Back