• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

gear box question

jimwjarmour

jimmy armour
Hi everyone, I have received a really good used input shaft (older style 1996 I believe) from Motor works in the UK, to replace the old one with the flat type spring in my 2000 r1100rt, what I noticed is on the out put end of the shaft there is no washer between the bearing and the retaining clip ? were there some shafts with only the clip[ as there is no room for a washer on this shaft ? thanks in advance Jimmy:scratch

up date

just to up date, as the shaft came without a washer under the retaining clip , and after checking max bmw micro fiche it doesnt show a washer either so good enough for me, will reassemble my gearbox as recieved from Motor works uk, bye for now Jimmy:thumb

up date on the up date

Hi Guys, I can see there is,nt a lot of interest in this, but to those who may be interested my gear box rebuilt with good used pre 1996 input shaft,(supplied by moto works UK, and boy what a difference !, this what I believed an oilhead would be like and now I,m starting to really like this bike including the ride, just need to have the seat padding raised as I think mine is a low profile type, have seat up in highest position, comfy enough but looks terrible when off the bike well now have a couple of hundred KM,s on the bike time to put on some more, hope to see some of you at the Four Winds, bye for now Jimmy:dance

Attachments

• marks day out 004.jpg
    marks day out 004.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 95
Glad your bike is back together and that you're now getting the REAL experience of an oilhead. And I still love that colour. :thumb

to those who may be interested my gear box rebuilt with good used pre 1996 input shaft,(supplied by moto works UK, and boy what a difference !, this what I believed an oilhead would be like and now I,m starting to really like this bike including the ride

Thanks for the update.

Hi jimmy. Motorworks in the uk is great. I got two front discs for my 99 rt used from them with lots of life and a really cool fix for the drainplug for my 97 f650. Good company. I am interested in why you put that specific part in the bike and what it improved.

gearbox shaft

Hi Chris ,the reason I replaced the shaft complete with the older style, was the spring in the 1996 -2000 boxes is a modified flat type,and to my mind weaker spring with a wave washer to allow for some extra cush on the clutch splines, but in my bike after nearly 90.000 miles (previous owner) would knock repeatedly on take off and show too much drive line slop while changing lower gears, on advice on the web I stripped the box and shimmed the input shaft spring,reassembled with new bearings, although much better still not right in fact after 1500 km,s was just as bad, and also rattling on idle while warm ,so got the older shaft which has a much stronger spring same as my old airhead ,which gave no trouble at all, as I said all is well now ,up to 500 km with no problems keeping my fingers crossed thanks for the interest ,Jimmy:thumb

It's not that nobody had interest (I did), it's that many here don't have the acumen to give valid opinions and good guidance.

No insult intended, guys, I know that some of you do this stuff daily, and only a few actually recognize these kinds of fine details.

Thanks for filling us in.

Thanks Jimmy. Understand now. As my bike has 84K miles now I will keep that update in mind. I have the same color bike by the way.

Hi BC1100S

Glad your bike is back together and that you're now getting the REAL experience of an oilhead. And I still love that colour. :thumb

well thanks for the reply ,bike going much better, re the blue it does seem to be lighter in photos :scratch but I like it and thats what matters,as a biking friend of mine said its a pretty bike !, not sure how to take that one, bye for now Jimmy:thumb

Back