• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Basketcase 1970 R75/5—how crazy am I to take this on?

jamesfacts

I've been poking around looking for an airhead project, and I think I've come across a decent candidate. My vision is a mild restomod. I want to keep the stock drivetrain, but update the riding position, controls, color scheme, rolling stock. I like the character of the earlier bikes best, and I found a cheap starting point, a 1970 R75/5 that's been off the road for three decades.

Only challenge is... it's fully disassembled. Fully disassembled. Cylinders removed, bare frame, one wheel without spokes. I suspect the engine in particular is a lost cause since three decades of exposure to air have likely pitted all the sensitive surfaces. The owner wants $1,200 for this pile of parts and I imagine that's not too far off, considering their value as spares:

1.jpg

Questions:

1. Is it worth trying to rebuild a motor that was disassembled 30 years ago so the bike remains numbers matching? What will that cost? Or should I just look for another mill?
2. What must-have parts should I be looking for when I view this project? Obviously I need the transmission, driveshaft, swingarm... etc. Is there anything hard-to-find / replace? Do I care about original carbs, exhaust, brake levers?
3. Will I live to wish I just bought a fully-assembled bike to build?
4. Any quirks to be aware of when dealing with an early-production example? Can I verify the build data with a VIN?

Thanks very much! This would be my first airhead and I'm somewhat at a loss examining the potential here.

It's only worth $250-$275 delivered, but why pay for torture and regrets.

You can get a lot nicer (rolling too) bike for $1200. And have a lot more fun at the end of a resurrection.

Charlie

Welcome to the forum! Love to hear the enthusiasm for bringing an Airhead back to life! IMO $1200 is way too much. It's obvious you will be spending lots of money buy parts that you don't have and taking each part back to square one to ensure it will work. You didn't say if there was a reason why the bike is in boxes. Is there some hidden issue there? Seems like you could find a runner for say $2000 which might provide a better working platform.

To verify the check the build date, use the link in my signature line. At the top of that page are several websites where you an enter the VIN and get some basic info about the bike.

Don't waste your time. This is junk, parts not even from the same series bikes thrown in. Much better opportunities out there whether you want something to restore or ride or both. Good luck with your decision.

Have to agree that $1200 for a pile of parts is too much.
I understand the enthusiasm about fixing up an old bike but thinking about my previous car experiences/projects with similar basket cases, I'd run away too... YMMV

PS; if you do decide to go forward, please post up photo's of your project.... :lurk

Love to hear the enthusiasm for bringing an Airhead back to life!

+3

Will I live to wish I just bought a fully-assembled bike to build?

In a word, "Yes."

And since you are not familiar with the marque trying to "restore" this thing to running condition will be ... one ... long ... uphill ... learning curve. You have no idea what caused the bike to be disassembled, if in fact it wasn't just a collection of odd parts to begin with. I can clearly see duplicates of parts in your photo that don't belong to that bike, so who knows what is there, and what isn't.

BMW is an acronym of Bring Mamma's Wallet for a reason... while parts are readily available (new and used), they aren't cheap; i.e., a new crank, $1,815; Bing carburetor, $585; etc., etc., etc. You're looking at hundreds of dollars (at the least) in machine work (boring, honing, etc) alone (probably several thousand by the time you're done), bearings, rings, etc. just to get the engine/transmission back together. That "only" leaves wheel rims/spokes/bearings, final drive (which I don't see in that collection of parts), brakes, front forks, electrical (alternator, starter motor, wiring harness, etc.).

IMO. you could not, possibly, turn this particular collection of parts into a running BMW for less than $6,000.

Use Searchtempest.com to cruise craigslist nationally, and buy something that is running. You should be able to find a decent machine for $3,000-4,000, maybe less.

As examples...

Here's one in LA > https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/d/1971-bmw-r75-5-black/6642269975.html
$3,200
00303_8cS8vzG5kwB_1200x900.jpg

If you live near Phoenix you can get this one > https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/d/1976-bmw-r75-6-teen-challenge/6625966571.html
$2,000
00X0X_gK785Gs4rwo_1200x900.jpg

Well... there certainly seems to be some consensus here! Yes, I could see there were many parts missing / mismatched, but I was looking at this as an opportunity to become better acquainted with the marquee. I don't mind a scruffy / incomplete example as I'm not trying to restore to stock. And obviously I don't want to overpay for an example in great condition if I plan to build it anyway.

After some feedback and reflection this particular collection of airhead parts seems to exceed my knowledge and ambition. Very much appreciate the feedback and suggestions!

Welcome to the forum! Love to hear the enthusiasm for bringing an Airhead back to life! IMO $1200 is way too much. It's obvious you will be spending lots of money buy parts that you don't have and taking each part back to square one to ensure it will work. You didn't say if there was a reason why the bike is in boxes. Is there some hidden issue there? Seems like you could find a runner for say $2000 which might provide a better working platform.

To verify the check the build date, use the link in my signature line. At the top of that page are several websites where you an enter the VIN and get some basic info about the bike.

Thanks! That's a useful link and useful insight.

Have to agree that $1200 for a pile of parts is too much.
I understand the enthusiasm about fixing up an old bike but thinking about my previous car experiences/projects with similar basket cases, I'd run away too... YMMV

PS; if you do decide to go forward, please post up photo's of your project.... :lurk

Certainly! This one might not be the project for me, but there's an example out there that is.

+3

In a word, "Yes."

And since you are not familiar with the marque trying to "restore" this thing to running condition will be ... one ... long ... uphill ... learning curve. You have no idea what caused the bike to be disassembled, if in fact it wasn't just a collection of odd parts to begin with. I can clearly see duplicates of parts in your photo that don't belong to that bike, so who knows what is there, and what isn't.

BMW is an acronym of Bring Mamma's Wallet for a reason... while parts are readily available (new and used), they aren't cheap; i.e., a new crank, $1,815; Bing carburetor, $585; etc., etc., etc. You're looking at hundreds of dollars (at the least) in machine work (boring, honing, etc) alone (probably several thousand by the time you're done), bearings, rings, etc. just to get the engine/transmission back together. That "only" leaves wheel rims/spokes/bearings, final drive (which I don't see in that collection of parts), brakes, front forks, electrical (alternator, starter motor, wiring harness, etc.).

IMO. you could not, possibly, turn this particular collection of parts into a running BMW for less than $6,000.

Use Searchtempest.com to cruise craigslist nationally, and buy something that is running. You should be able to find a decent machine for $3,000-4,000, maybe less.

As examples...

Here's one in LA > https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/d/1971-bmw-r75-5-black/6642269975.html
$3,200

If you live near Phoenix you can get this one > https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/d/1976-bmw-r75-6-teen-challenge/6625966571.html
$2,000

Yep, those are some nice finds. Wheels / brakes / electrical don't scare me much, but engine condition is very concerning. The bike you highlight in AZ would a perfect starting base if it turns out to still be available. Thanks!

I bought one like that in 1992. Finally got it together in 2014 and I know lots about /5s !

Back