• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100RT Radio?

tmass

The radio in my bike does not actually work it turns on and the speakers make static (very low volume even turned up). Was wondering a few things.

has anyone upgraded the radio and speakers, if so can the handlebar controls still work
Is it even worth it
Also I believe there was some kind of glovebox for non radio spec'd ones. Is this a part that I could find somewhere. Might be nice to have a glove box could even keep the power running in there and make some kind of usb power port for my phone.

I removed mine...

The radio in my bike does not actually work it turns on and the speakers make static (very low volume even turned up). Was wondering a few things.

has anyone upgraded the radio and speakers, if so can the handlebar controls still work
Is it even worth it
Also I believe there was some kind of glovebox for non radio spec'd ones. Is this a part that I could find somewhere. Might be nice to have a glove box could even keep the power running in there and make some kind of usb power port for my phone.

Since I have a Sena Bluetooth that makes a lot more sense than trying to blast music over the wind noise. I emoted the “glove box” and added some plastic to fill the hole where the wiring entered the box. O then found a plastic plug for the hole where the antenna was. The resulting box is perfect for carrying my registration and insurance card, a hat, my gloves, a tire repair kit and a helmet lock.

Can that radio, you won’t regret it.

Most radio shops can repair it. They did mine. I kept it because it really didn't matter if it worked, it was part of the bike and having a part of the bike not working flared my ADHD or MY OCD or something like that.

I rarely use but it is nice to have the last cassette player I will ever own.

I looked for replacements and there are a few out there that will fit with some tinkering but none will work with the handlebar controls.

PM me if you go the repair route and yours needs parts they can't find. I have one that could/might be stripped for parts. Actually, I think it still works, maybe.

Previous owner removed the radio (with cassette player) on my R1100rt. I installed a compact marine amplifier with an aux input. I can connect my phone or MP3 player and still have enough room in the box for registration, insurance cards, owners manual, multi-tool, etc. I also put a volume knob on the dash. Works well enough for around town, not so much on the highway. I could upgraded the speakers and/or amp, but I pretty much just use bluetooth now anyway.

Previous owner removed the radio (with cassette player) on my R1100rt. I installed a compact marine amplifier with an aux input. I can connect my phone or MP3 player and still have enough room in the box for registration, insurance cards, owners manual, multi-tool, etc. I also put a volume knob on the dash. Works well enough for around town, not so much on the highway. I could upgrade the speakers and/or amp, but I pretty much just use bluetooth now anyway.

When I bought my R1150RT the previous owner had already removed the radio/cassette deck and antennae from the bike. At first I was determined to replace it all but as others suggested here, I’d be far better off spending that money on a SENA or similar unit. In the end that’s exactly what I did. I also upgraded my helmet with a new Shoei Neotec. In the end I’m much happier because I have a lot more capability with my SENA than I would with a stereo cassette deck. Most of the time I stream music or play music from my playlist. If I really wanted I could use the FM receiver and listen to the radio through the SENA. A buddy of mine uses a SENA also and we communicate through the bike to bike intercom. It works great. So in the end I find that the SENA was a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back