• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Schuberth E1 visor flop - what's the road fix?

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
It couldn't happen while I was in Des Moines, it had to wait till I was on the road again. Yup, the visor flops down at 20mph which is a bear in humid heat. Short of duct taping it up, is there a McGuyver fix I can use till I get home in a week?

Pete and Glenlivet on the road in West Virginia

This has been a problem with my C3 and Annie’s Women’s C3 Pro. Back at the Salem Rally the Schuberth stall was installing a fix; it was not completely successful. The way I fixed our helmets was to place a rubber fender washer under the visor at one of the pivot points. One washer on one side has fixed our problems, but you could use one on each side. If you look at the pivot points you will see a circular area on the underside of the visor. You are looking for a rubber washer that will fit in that circle. The washers are available at hardware or home improvement stores and come in a variety of diameters and thicknesses. You should get a few of different thicknesses to see which works best. I’ve found that the thinner ones generally do the job.

This has been a problem with my C3 and Annie’s Women’s C3 Pro. Back at the Salem Rally the Schuberth stall was installing a fix; it was not completely successful. The way I fixed our helmets was to place a rubber fender washer under the visor at one of the pivot points. One washer on one side has fixed our problems, but you could use one on each side. If you look at the pivot points you will see a circular area on the underside of the visor. You are looking for a rubber washer that will fit in that circle. The washers are available at hardware or home improvement stores and come in a variety of diameters and thicknesses. You should get a few of different thicknesses to see which works best. I’ve found that the thinner ones generally do the job.

Ha!!! I moved on from the o’ring to the washer... it works better.

The O-ring worked pretty well on my C3, though I tried a couple different thicknesses. Besides the O-ring, some C3 owners used the felt pads intended for chair legs to prevent floor scratching. Basically, you want more friction at the pivot. Perhaps you can find a rubber band that would work? Have an extra foam earplug you could cut up?

It looks like Revzilla sells a E1 Visor mechanism for $25, but they do not show a picture of what it looks like.I also can not believe that you would have to hack fix a helmet that looks like it cost $400-$800! Good luck and I will think twice before shelling out that kind of $$ on a helmet.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm finally in a town big enough to have a well-stocked hardware store. Will start hunting.

Well Stocked Hardware Store

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm finally in a town big enough to have a well-stocked hardware store. Will start hunting.

A well stocked hardware store is kind of a oxymoron these days

You could make a small braid out of Glenlivet's tail hair to tighten up the pivot point.

I noticed mine got a little floppy on the way home too Pete. Travel safe, we’ll have to put that finger of scotch on hold until we get together again.

If you carry the disposable foam earplugs, you can jam them in between the helmet and the visor near the pivots. The Visor is either all up or all down, though. earplug fix.jpgearplug fix 2.jpg

If you carry the disposable foam earplugs, you can jam them in between the helmet and the visor near the pivots. The Visor is either all up or all down, though.

LOL! I was in a hurry to get ahead of the rain so I crammed a couple McDonald's fries under the visor. They lasted 200 miles and Glenlivet cleaned up the residue. Earplugs would have been a better fix!

LOL! I was in a hurry to get ahead of the rain so I crammed a couple McDonald's fries under the visor. They lasted 200 miles and Glenlivet cleaned up the residue. Earplugs would have been a better fix!

Brilliant fix! Although I don't envy the task you had cleaning the fry residue. I am glad you had such an excellent riding partner willing to help you.

I have been following Glenlivet's and your journey on Facebook. Thanks for the photos. They are an fine example of what Facebook can and should be.

Back