• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Suggestions on how to remove scuff marks on system cases?

tangoalpha

Hi guys. Long time no talk! I have a question for those of you who have or have had a bike with the BMW system cases. My bike, an 02 R1150RT has the black (textured finish) plastic System Case luggage which have accumulated a few that I’d like to remove. Any tips or suggestions on how to eliminate boot scuff marks? I’ve tried various cleaners to no avail. I’m wondering if lightly using a green Scotchbrite pad with a solvent would do damage to the bags?

I’ve read some articles and seen how some of you have completely restored old luggage to look like new, so I’m assuming what I’m inquiring about should be fairly easy in comparison.

I’d be grateful for any suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Put stickers over them:jester

Look at Similar Thread feature at bottom of page for some thoughts. Have tried everything on ours, some come out, some have a story.

What usually happens is the scuff turns smooth and shiny and often looks worse. I have seen them sprayed with truck bed liner.

I've given this advise several times, heat the case in the sun then put a 3m green pad over the damaged area and hit it with a rubber mallet. The green pad restores the texture.

Mothers Back To Black works for me in the scuffs aren't too deep.

I have used Mothers Back to Black with great success on some things, but it hasn’t improved the scuffs on my cases.
Put stickers over them:jester

Look at Similar Thread feature at bottom of page for some thoughts. Have tried everything on ours, some come out, some have a story.
It drives me crazy. You’d think a textured non painted plastic case would be more resistant to scuff marks in the first place. My Harley had hard saddlebags that were painted and I never had a scuff mark that couldn’t be removed with a good cleaner wax/polish.
What usually happens is the scuff turns smooth and shiny and often looks worse. I have seen them sprayed with truck bed liner.
That’s exactly what I’m dealing with...mostly shiny smooth scuff marks. Not as bad as some because I’m very careful, but more than I’d like.
Those cases look better than I thought they would, I’m just not a fan of the Linex bed liner, although it would solve the problem.
I've given this advise several times, heat the case in the sun then put a 3m green pad over the damaged area and hit it with a rubber mallet. The green pad restores the texture.
[emoji15]
Are you kidding me? Does that actually work? It sounds crazy, but if leaving them in the sun to warm up works, then I suppose a heat gun if used carefully could be used as well. Perhaps if I supported the area on the backside of the case which is to be hit with the mallet that might mitigate any unintended damage from occurring. I think I like this option the best so far. Do you by chance have any photos of your results?

Stickers, you need more stickers. Otherwise you could look at sanding them and painting them to color-match the bike. If that’s not appealing to you and the scratches are in the usual place-the outer lid—then new lids are available and you might find someone in the marketplace interested in your old lids.

Best,
DG

I have used Mothers Back to Black with great success on some things, but it hasn’t improved the scuffs on my cases.

It drives me crazy. You’d think a textured non painted plastic case would be more resistant to scuff marks in the first place. My Harley had hard saddlebags that were painted and I never had a scuff mark that couldn’t be removed with a good cleaner wax/polish.

That’s exactly what I’m dealing with...mostly shiny smooth scuff marks. Not as bad as some because I’m very careful, but more than I’d like.

Those cases look better than I thought they would, I’m just not a fan of the Linex bed liner, although it would solve the problem.

[emoji15]
Are you kidding me? Does that actually work? It sounds crazy, but if leaving them in the sun to warm up works, then I suppose a heat gun if used carefully could be used as well. Perhaps if I supported the area on the backside of the case which is to be hit with the mallet that might mitigate any unintended damage from occurring. I think I like this option the best so far. Do you by chance have any photos of your results?

Sorry don't have photos. Pick a shiny spot on a lower part of the bag and give it a try. As you said the bags are easily scratched and that's really all you're doing with the 3m pad. Doesn't take a lot of force from the rubber mallet.

I learned years ago the secret to getting scuff marks off the saddlebags. Dont dont do it!! Just think every time before getting on if this is the day you want ugly scuff marks. Sometimes I can swing my leg over easily, other days it ain't happening. I plan my mount ahead of time by how I at feeling.

Those days i swing my over that seat and if I need to I use my hand to get my boot over the seat. Just remember scuff marks on the seat look just as ugly as scuffs on the paint

I learned years ago the secret to getting scuff marks off the saddlebags. Dont dont do it!! Just think every time before getting on if this is the day you want ugly scuff marks. Sometimes I can swing my leg over easily, other days it ain't happening. I plan my mount ahead of time by how I at feeling.

Those days i swing my over that seat and if I need to I use my hand to get my boot over the seat. Just remember scuff marks on the seat look just as ugly as scuffs on the paint

Well....sure can’t argue with that logic. But...unfortunately the damage is already done. [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back