Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hotel options for MOA Rally 2019

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Do not remember which of the ladies from the Lebanon Fair Assn I was talking to nor how subject came up, but I remember the story. Dog barking at front door she opened front door and the copperhead the dog was barking at quickly slithers in and into hall closet ( her words .. copperheads can move very quickly) nonplussed she shut closet door behind snake. Thinking a bit she got her vacuum sweeper ( brand new vacuum sweeper) opened door and when snake stuck his or her little head up, slurp up it goes into the sweeper. When I asked what she did next she said she took sweeper outside left it for her husband who was not at home at the time. I asked if she got a new sweeper, ( because I was thinking 12 gauge ) she said no husband just dumped snake out and properly disposed of it. She said if it had been outside no problem ( again I am thinking 12 gauge) just take a shovel or hoe and remove itís head.
    So I guess next year in my camping equipment I will have a shovel or trenching tool with me.
    Though poisonous, Copperheads are pretty mellow. While on active duty I found myself sharing turf with them several times. We'd just use our rifle barrels to scoop them up and relocate them. Water Moccasins on the other hand were aggressive and just bad news. They were the hornets of the reptile world, and I remember many a combat-hardened Marine fleeing in abject terror as a hissing moccasin chased him through the forest!
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 61996 View Post
    When there isn't availability of reasonably priced accommodations, many will stay home.
    And when you combine that with lack-luster vendor participation, my guess is that this rally will be one of the least attended.

Joe

I bet you get invited to a LOT of parties where you live..................

Quote Originally Posted by mshell View Post
    I'm sure many of us already know that Bonnaroo is in Manchester, Tn the same weekend as the rally.

For those that aren't familiar with Bonnaroo, it's one of the largest music festivals in America. Typically the festival exceeds 80,000 attendees. Manchester is about 60 miles south of Lebanon.

https://www.bonnaroo.com/

So if you plan to stay in a hotel...book early. Some of the newer hotels are already fully booked.

Mike

The Bonnaroo crowd normally camps on-site. I'm sure there's some who will book rooms, but probably not too many outside of the Manchester/Tullahoma area, IMO.

There's plenty of options in Mt. Juliet, about 7-8 miles from Lebanon. Another good option is Gallatin, about 10 miles or so up Hwy 109 from Lebanon.

In short, there's no worry about finding a nominally priced room, IMO. All it takes is a wee bit of computer time.

My .o2

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Do not remember which of the ladies from the Lebanon Fair Assn I was talking to nor how subject came up, but I remember the story. Dog barking at front door she opened front door and the copperhead the dog was barking at quickly slithers in and into hall closet ( her words .. copperheads can move very quickly) nonplussed she shut closet door behind snake. Thinking a bit she got her vacuum sweeper ( brand new vacuum sweeper) opened door and when snake stuck his or her little head up, slurp up it goes into the sweeper. When I asked what she did next she said she took sweeper outside left it for her husband who was not at home at the time. I asked if she got a new sweeper, ( because I was thinking 12 gauge ) she said no husband just dumped snake out and properly disposed of it. She said if it had been outside no problem ( again I am thinking 12 gauge) just take a shovel or hoe and remove itís head.
    So I guess next year in my camping equipment I will have a shovel or trenching tool with me.

In TN, it is ILLEGAL to kill venomous snakes. Yes, I crap thee not.

Now, does it happen? You betcha. But don't let a Wildlife Officer catch ya doing it.

Laura and I are booked for hotel stay in E. Nashville/ Lebanon; she stated that there were only 3 rooms left at the time of booking (last Friday.) Looking forward to our first rally. It took a brand new RT to motivate us to travel, so here we go. Cheers!
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

Quote Originally Posted by WWeldin View Post
    Laura and I are booked for hotel stay in E. Nashville/ Lebanon; she stated that there were only 3 rooms left at the time of booking (last Friday.) Looking forward to our first rally. It took a brand new RT to motivate us to travel, so here we go. Cheers!
    Cheers yourself mate, good for you two. See you there.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Ute's Chauffeur
    My daughter and I will be taking our 8th annual Dad-Daughter moto vacation and this year we will be going to the rally. We are staying in Nashville at Hutton House (a little “fanciness” never hurts). In addition to going to the rally we will do some of the Natchez Trace, land between the lakes and then spend a few days in Robbinsville and revisit the Cherohala, Dragon, 6 gaps of Ga, etc then onto Wyethevile, Va some riding around there and back home to central NY. We are looking forward to it. If you see a black B GA and a Triumph T120 black give a wave.

Like the OP, I'm not one for sleeping on the ground so I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express Friday and Saturday night (made the reservations the same day they announced the rally date and location).

This will be my first rally ever. Does anyone know if there will be vendors selling their wares? My ride is in need of some serious farkling and it'll be time for tires by then for sure. What does one do for two days at one of these rallies?
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Cool

Oh My... your in for a PLEASANT surprise! ... like a "kid in the candy-store" feeling. You have a little MOA National "homework" to accomplish. (U-tube or whatever)

Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    Oh My... your in for a PLEASANT surprise! ... like a "kid in the candy-store" feeling. You have a little MOA National "homework" to accomplish. (U-tube or whatever)
    I figured my post would expose my naivetť. 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post

This will be my first rally ever. Does anyone know if there will be vendors selling their wares?
    To give you an idea here's the list from the 2018 rally.
    https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/rally_vendors

A few weeks before this years rally the list will be posted on the bmwmoa.org page.
    Look under All About the Rally.

http://rally.bmwmoa.org/
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Great stuff. Better clear off one (or two) credit cards!

Last time I looked at the Rally page (like mid last year) there wasn't much on there. It's loaded with info now so I registered for two of the training classes (Authorities and Streetmaster) and added a day to the hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    Bring money or a well endowed charge card.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fun

You also can have a very enjoyable time, without spending very much money.

I found a room at the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Lebanon, TN. This will be my first MOA rally as well, I thought about signing up for one of the off-road classes but I'm not looking forward to dropping my bike while I "figure it out" what makes me think I'd rather take a course at BMW in Greer with one of their bikes.