• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Scenic route From Detroit to Barber Museum?

Moe13

Where else in the world can you see 900+ mint-condition motorcycles on exhibit at one time? Nowhere. The Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum is recognized by Guinness World Records as the world’s largest motorcycle collection. With over 1,600 motorcycles spanning over 100 years of production, the Barber collection represents 200 different manufacturers from 20 countries from as far away as Australia, New Zealand, and Sweden. Showcasing the unique design of each individual piece, this epic display reveals the fine art of the motorcycle. But that’s not all. The museum also features the world’s most extensive collection of Lotus cars, plus an assortment of rare, celebrated cars.

:wave Can anyone recommend the best scenic route From Detroit to Barber Museum? (*Hopefully, a nice route that passes through Ashville NC on the way back to Detroit) — Thank you.

Barber should be visited in October.

I think the first question is when? October 5-7 is the 14th Barber Vintage Festival. https://www.barbermuseum.org/events/barber-vintage-festival

The second question answer of how to get there can be found on the first page link titled Getting There.

If you do the festival bring your walking shoes, do the museum, do the swap meet, do the displays, absolutely do the race pits.

By attending the festival your 1,600 bikes grow to something probably five times that.

Doing everything is a huge one day or a better two day.

Lastly, if you see a Jim n Nicks BBQ - don't be riding by it.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
71,449 Life

If you want to keep it scenic & simple, go west (from Detroit) to US231 and head south. Beautiful road, light traffic, and no large cities. When you enter AL, you have two choices: (1) when you near Cleveland, AL, take AL79 South to Birmingham/I-20. Take I20 east to Exit 140/US78. Barber's is just west of the Bass Pro that's at the intersection of I-20/US78/Rex Lake Rd. (2) stay on US231 to US411 (Asheville, AL). Follow US411 SE to Leeds, AL. In Leeds, take US78 West through Leeds to Rex Lake Rd. Turn left on Rex Lake Rd. Barber's is just west of Bass Pro.

Others may have different suggestions for a route, but the route(s) listed above have been tried/tested personally, and I find them to be a lot of fun! (And I'll second the suggestion to come in October (5-7 this year) for the Barber Vintage Festival. This year's grand marshall is Colin Seeley.

Hope to see you at Barber's this fall!

This ought to keep you busy....

:wave Can anyone recommend the best scenic route From Detroit to Barber Museum? (*Hopefully, a nice route that passes through Ashville NC on the way back to Detroit) — Thank you.

Here is a nice route from Barber to Asheville... I am assuming you're a pavement only rider so *I think* these roads are all paved. Let me know if you're not. :evil

<iframe src="https://rwgps-embeds.com/embeds?type=route&id=28087032&sampleGraph=true" style="width: 1px; min-width: 100%; height: 700px; border: none;" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Ian

Sammy Miller Museum

Not sure how many bikes Sammy has but it took me hours to see them all and names I'd never heard of before. And every bike is a runner. Easy to get there from Detroit. Just go to the airport.

I here, too, sought Museum motorcycles and wanted to to go, guys me have advised a couple, but about this no one spoke.
Hmm, interesting.:scratch

Back