• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Fill Strainer Modification - K1200S

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
I have the upgraded inner screen installed in the neck of the oil tank filler. Tonight, while futzing around, I accidentally pushed it into the tank. Despite my best efforts, I cannot get it out of the oil tank. Does anyone know how I might extract it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS Yes, I am an idiot.

Last edited:
Maybe one of those long spring-loaded claws? Harbor Freight has this magnetic one for about $3...
pickuptool.jpg

- but you'd probably have to reduce the size of the claw end. I have a non-magnetic one with a pretty skinny claw end, but I forget where I got it; they seem fairly common...

To paraphrase an old saying: necessity is a mother...

Thanks guys. I have one of those grabber tools. Thing is, the strainer is an interference fit into the neck of the oil reservoir. I can get the thing fully lined up but can't hold it tight enough to extract it through the filler hole. Its proving to be an exercise in frustration. I may be looking at destroying the strainer to get it out (which I'm ok with). Will update when further progress made.

Thanks again for the ideas.

DUDE :whistle

Not going to question a fella S owner:stick...Go buy another one and go ride. Its not a chunk of shop towel that is going to clog a line and reminds me of lost adjuster locknuts on oilhead valves that are living in many a sump.

Another occasional idiot:wave

Thanks guys. I have one of those grabber tools. Thing is, the strainer is an interference fit into the neck of the oil reservoir. I can get the thing fully lined up but can't hold it tight enough to extract it through the filler hole. Its proving to be an exercise in frustration. I may be looking at destroying the strainer to get it out (which I'm ok with). Will update when further progress made.

Thanks again for the ideas.

I removed it from both of our bikes the first oil change.

If it was mine, I'd sure feel a lot better getting it out than just leaving it... I don't know the size of the lower orifice for the hose connection, but I can imagine the screen sitting in a way to impede flow, unless its diameter is less than the distance from the bottom of the tank to the bottom of the connection... Squish it as you pull it up & out and be done with it!

SUCCESS !

Did some more fishing in the oil reservoir and snagged the strainer. While again trying to extract the little bugger....it snapped into place! I was seriously thinking about squishing the crap out of it, pulling it out and throwing it away but being one to leave well enough alone, I left it in place.

I was pretty sure it wouldn't have caused any damage but, like Paul, I'd rather not have it in there. It would have been playing on my mind, keeping me awake at night and ultimately leading me to book numerous appointments with a shrink. :laugh

Thanks again for your help and support!

Last edited:
Back