• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Vibration at high speed/rpms in '90 K75S

cavisconage

Hi All-

Just picked up a new to me 1990 K75S and rode it home 200 miles from PA to DC yesterday. The bike has 55k miles on it and lots of major maintenance done. That being said, there was a crazy amount of vibration above 45 mph or so. Is there a common place to start when looking to fix this issue? I'm sure it could be a lot of different things, but any help for a K75 rookie like myself would be appreciated.

Welcome to K-land, cavisconage. The K75 is a great bike, I had a K75S from 1988 to 1997.

The vibration you feel is definitely not normal; normal is really smooth at all rpms and speeds. As what you feel is speed-related, you should start with wheels and tires:

Are the wheels straight and unbent? Put the bike on its centerstand, and spin each wheel slowly while holding a pencil or small piece of wood next to the rim. There should be little or no runout in either the radial or lateral direction. If there is, the wheel(s) should be straightened or replaced.

Same issue for the tires. First, how old are they? Numbers molded into the sidewall will disclose the month and year of manufacture. The rubber compounds in tires degrade with age, and will generate less traction even if there's tread remaining. And there will be tread wear indicators molded into the tires, showing how much treadwear has occurred. If the tires are five years old or more, or are worn close to the wear bars, replace the tires.

If the tires seem OK, make sure they're correctly inflated and inspect them carefully for flaws. Any significant out-of-roundness (checked in the same way you checked the wheels) or a sidewall bulge is immediately disqualifying; if either is found, replace the tire(s).

Finally, each tire-and-wheel assembly must be balanced. An out-of-balance condition could easily generate the vibration you feel.

Do some checking, and let us know what you discover.

Welcome to the forum!

A K75S should have virtually NO vibration at virtually any speed. It is. One of the smoothest motors ever built.

The first place to look would be the tires and wheels.

Check for bent wheels.
Checked for out of round or damaged tires.
If neither of the above, have the tires rebalanced and ask the tech to double check for bent wheel or tire runout.

Let us know the results. If that doesn't fix it, we can suggest some less likely and more involved possibilities.

:dance:dance:dance

PS: I guess since David lives in Santa Cruz, just a quick ride from here, we both get up and check the Forum about the same time. I was typing while he was hitting send. But the advice is the same. It's most likely something wrong in the wheel/ tire area. These bikes don't vibrate. When the K75 first came out, one of the complaints from traditionalists was "These bikes don't have any soul" (read "vibration"). And, like David said, old hard tires are also possibly the problem. It's amazing how much smoother an already smooth bike feels with brand new tires.

Last edited:
cavisconage - I just got my ‘94 this Spring in Arlington, VA, somewhere near you!
Yes, mine is smooth. In addition to checking tires and wheels you might want to check the bearings in each wheel. Are the forks straight? Anything going on in the steering head bearings? Any notches there?
Fortunately for me, the previous owner was pretty maintainence savvy.
Good luck getting yours smoothed out.

Have a similar issue with an '86 K75C. Vibrates terribly at about 5000 RPM regardless of what gear I'm in (follows RPM, not speed).

I replaced the clutch a few years ago without using 'official' alignment tools. Has been ridden by my son since then and he never complained (likely didn't know any better). I suspect it is the clutch being slightly misaligned that doesn't manifest itself until the higher speeds.

Will be working on it this winter since the transmission needs seals anyway.

Other suggestions of possible causes is welcome.

J

Have a similar issue with an '86 K75C. Vibrates terribly at about 5000 RPM regardless of what gear I'm in (follows RPM, not speed).

I replaced the clutch a few years ago without using 'official' alignment tools. Has been ridden by my son since then and he never complained (likely didn't know any better). I suspect it is the clutch being slightly misaligned that doesn't manifest itself until the higher speeds.

Will be working on it this winter since the transmission needs seals anyway.

Other suggestions of possible causes is welcome.

J

Three parts of the clutch assembly need to be assembled in a certain way so as to spread out the heavy (or light) spots to maintain overall balance. Marks on the flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch cover are supposed to be spread out at 120 degree intervals as closely as possible. Not doing this on assembly would precisely cause the symptoms described.

Paul -

The clutch I put in my /7 a few years ago came from BMW and there were no marks. It was my understanding they come balanced and there's no need to worry about spacing. However, if I had a clutch already installed with no issues, I would certainly mark the existing orientation for reassembly.

This thread is over 1 year old.
The last time the OP visited the site was April this year.

Paul -

The clutch I put in my /7 a few years ago came from BMW and there were no marks. It was my understanding they come balanced and there's no need to worry about spacing. However, if I had a clutch already installed with no issues, I would certainly mark the existing orientation for reassembly.

Yes but, we don't know in this case what was replaced. If it was just the disk for example and the original orientation of the heavy parts was ignored you get precisely the type of imbalance described. And we don't know exactly when this clutch job happened compared to when BMW improved its balance specifications. When symptoms match a common error I don't assume there must be some other weird cause.

The "new poster" says he replaced the clutch. True, we don't know what that means, but I take it as the whole shebang was replaced. If a person replaced only the fiber disk, seems like they would go so far as say that. But, it's hard to read all of what is meant by just the typed word in this case.

Even still, if he did just replace the fiber plate, they come these days with no markings as far as I know. Back to what I said, if disassembling the entire clutch pack, and replacing say only one item, it would certainly be best to put the old items back in their original orientation. The replaced item would have no markings so it's just put in and you take what you get.

Paul -

The clutch for the /7 probably comes without marks because they are "close enough" for a /7. A good running /7 vibrates more than a poor running K75, so the tolerances would be looser.

If you don't believe me, take a nickel and balance it on edge somewhere on the bike. Reach over and start the bike. Then slowly raise the throttle to 3000 rpm. If you can get near there, your bike MAY be near as smooth as a typical K75.

:dance:dance:dance

The "new poster" says he replaced the clutch. True, we don't know what that means, but I take it as the whole shebang was replaced. If a person replaced only the fiber disk, seems like they would go so far as say that. But, it's hard to read all of what is meant by just the typed word in this case.

Even still, if he did just replace the fiber plate, they come these days with no markings as far as I know. Back to what I said, if disassembling the entire clutch pack, and replacing say only one item, it would certainly be best to put the old items back in their original orientation. The replaced item would have no markings so it's just put in and you take what you get.

I replaced just the clutch fiber disk. The bike had been sitting for a lot of years before I bought it and was slipping on hard acceleration. The fiber disk was cracked and glazed. I did mark everything and reassembled as instructed in the Haynes manual.

Upon further searching on this forum, it's possible it is only the monkey nuts (assume they are original). I had ridden it around a bit before the kids took it over and am sure I would have noticed the vibration. Although most of my riding was back road twisties (or as best we have of those here in WI) and I may not have noticed. I road it back from Phoenix and during the long hours of droning it was really evident.

Thanks all for the replies and advice. Will update again this winter after I get it torn apart and repaired.
I have my GSA to bide me over until then. :)

J

Back