Thread: New member project bike.. 1987 K75

New member project bike.. 1987 K75

So being a newbie, I am hoping that I can put up here my project bike and pics.

Before I do so, I want to make sure folks would like to see this.

Its a bike I just purchased the other day and is a craigslist special. (Ergo: mechanics special).

There is a lot of work and if allowed I will post information on what I am doing and will take any and all advice into consideration to what I am doing. In other forums, I have found some allowing multiple photos and others requiring links. So before I journey off into this foray, I wanted to get input from those in the know about all of this.

Thanks in advance.

3 Red Bricks
    We like projects and we REALLY like pctures. Post away!

We'll help you out anyway we can.

Photos need to be under 152mb and only 3 per post max, but you can put as many 3 picture posts you want in a thread.

Please always put the year, model, and sub- model (C, S, RT, etc) in the TITLE of any thread that you start.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

So the bike is an "RS".

So far what I have found is that the bike was repainted (poorly) the Odometer was banged up, and the relay flashers need to be replaced.

There are a lot of quirks so far that I have found including needing a new air intake snorkel and the fuel sending unit is totally destroyed.

As I was cleaning the gas tank out (looked like a lot of rust) it turned out to be the residue of someone using non-submersible rubber hose on the fuel line.

They also jerry rigged the fuel pump and sending unit on the wiring harness coming out of the tank.
    So I am going to have to replace that.

The RH mirror was missing the glass and the housing cracked so I am going to replace both with something else.

So I have a fair amount of work ahead of me, and Ill post first the bike as it is.

Then Ill show some of the more evil repairs Ill make.

It looks like so far that someone did a first class hatchet job on the front end of the bike. The front turn signals look like something of of an old Shovelhead and the wireing was spliced.
    This may answer the question as to why the relay went kaput.

The horn is NOT a beemer horn and the light looks suspicious as well but I'll look later.

The throttle is sticky so the cable prob. needs to be R&Rd.

The lower end of the bike outside the dirt an usual gunk looks ligit. The wiring isn't cut but there are a few items that are not connected.

3 Red Bricks
    Soocom,

There was never a K75RS. If the bike has a narrow frame mounted fairing, a disc rear brake, and the last seven #s of the vin are 015xxxx, then it is a K75S.

If it has a small fork mounted fairing or no fairing, a drum rear brake, and the last seven #s of the vin are 013xxxx, then it is a K75C.

The gas tank is aluminum, so there is no chance of rust. The sending unit only does two things on your bike (unless someone has installed the optional fuel gauge). It passes the power through the tank wall to the fuel pump and it triggers the low fuel light when there is somewhere around 1 gallon left in the tank.

You can use standard BMW mirrors that go through the holes in the lever perchs and are held in place with a nut or you can slightly enlarge those holes and tap them to 10mm. You can then use almost any aftermarket mirror. You can still go back to the standard BMW mirrors after you've modified the holes with no issues. BMW mirrors are about $70 ea. Aftermarket mirrors start at around $12 ea. and offer endless styles.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Soocom,

There was never a K75RS. If the bike has a narrow frame mounted fairing, a disc rear brake, and the last seven #s of the vin are 015xxxx, then it is a K75S.

If it has a small fork mounted fairing or no fairing, a drum rear brake, and the last seven #s of the vin are 013xxxx, then it is a K75C.

The gas tank is aluminum, so there is no chance of rust. The sending unit only does two things on your bike (unless someone has installed the optional fuel gauge). It passes the power through the tank wall to the fuel pump and it triggers the low fuel light when there is somewhere around 1 gallon left in the tank.

You can use standard BMW mirrors that go through the holes in the lever perchs and are held in place with a nut or you can slightly enlarge those holes and tap them to 10mm. You can then use almost any aftermarket mirror. You can still go back to the standard BMW mirrors after you've modified the holes with no issues. BMW mirrors are about $70 ea. Aftermarket mirrors start at around $12 ea. and offer endless styles.

Thank you for that

So first it tells me that its a K75C because of the numbers. its 013.

Good to know on the gas tank, that answers why after cleaning it up it was pristine inside.

This is helping greatly. It looks like the front end was badly butchered by someone trying to do some kind of modification, so if its a C then I need to focus on bringing it to that level.

I am seriously thinking of dumping the round mirrors for something much diff.

The cost ais easy to handle on those.

Quick question then, I take it this isn't an ABS Mod?

(Please forgive some of the ignorance, I am a former Harley type.) As I go through this, I will gladly take suggestions and corrections.

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by soocom1 View Post

Good to know on the gas tank, that answers why after cleaning it up it was pristine inside.
    And why buying a magnetic tank bag might not be a smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by soocom1 View Post
    Quick question then, I take it this isn't an ABS Mod.
    ABS was not an option on K75s until 1990, and never on a drum rear brake bike.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    And why buying a magnetic tank bag might not be a smart move.

I once bought a used K1100. The owner threw in a magnetic tank bag he had bought; complained it never worked very well.
    I didn't have the heart to tell him why.